Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425

/ Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425 #1  

cherylspt

Tractor
2003 Power Trac 425
Although I have been looking at this forum for the past 10 years I have not posted I live right down the road from the (carpenter) and that is why i purchased the Power Trac. I now am approaching a 1000 hours of use and abuse. Have moved tons of large rocks to form rock wall behind the house, mowed about 5 acres of the property and used the PT for all of the landscaping. I loaned it out several times and on one occasion it was run low on oil. I am now experiencing a lot of blow-by and if I work it hard it will go through oil in under an hour. Will probably replace with a Kohler. called PT and they suggested I purchase closer to home. The only thing I am not sure of is the shaft size 1 1/8 or 1 7/16. Engine model CH25S Spec. Number 68500 serial #3024103751. Tractor purchased for me but quickly became my wife's tractor. Appreciate any input. cherylspt

/ Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425 #2  
Welcome to TBN!

You might want to give Jack's small engines a call. They are reportedly very helpful.

/ Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425 #3  
   / Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425 #5  
When in doubt, go with the larger one... you'd only have to replace the love joy style coupler if you choose wrong. I believe PT machines a coupler that fits the 1 7/8" shaft. (At least that's what I recall since I got mine through them.)

/ Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425 #6  
These are the only shaft sizes that I saw on the horizontal Kohler engines,

1 in

1 1/8

1 1/4

1 7/16

/ Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425 #7  
JJ,

I went back and checked what my replacement Robin shaft size was, and it was 1 7/16" (vs 1 7/8"). So to correct my previous statement, "PT machines a coupler that fits the 1 7/16" shaft". :) It was $40 or so.

/ Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425
I really appreciate all of the advice. Wondering if Pajoub's PT was a 2001-2003 model. If so then it is quite possible that mine is the 1 7/16 shaft. Will probably call Jack's and the Small E Engine Warehouse to compare cost. I would be willing to pay more for the EFI model if it would work. Believe me I will do whatever is necessary to keep this machine running. My wife looks at it as indispensable. It allows her to do a lot of landscaping work that she would normally be unable to perform.

/ Replacing Kohler Command in PT 425 #10  
= Wondering if Pajoub's PT was a 2001-2003 model. If so then it is quite possible that mine is the 1 7/16 shaft.
According to Pajoub's signature block on the above referenced post, he has a 2003 PT-425. PM him at that link, maybe he will respond.