Mowing Mower deck spindle

/ Mower deck spindle #1  

PTRich

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT425
I called power trac today to order a rotary cutter, some extra blades and a pulley for the top of my spindle on my 60" finish mower. Terry told me I had to order the entire spindle because they are now using different spindles. They have replaceable parts. You can take the spindle apart and replace just the worn or broken piece. When it arrives I will let you know how it looks.

/ Mower deck spindle #2  
<font color="blue">I called power trac today to order a rotary cutter, some extra blades and a pulley for the top of my spindle on my 60" finish mower. Terry told me I had to order the entire spindle because they are now using different spindles. They have replaceable parts. You can take the spindle apart and replace just the worn or broken piece. When it arrives I will let you know how it looks. </font>

Thanks.

/ Mower deck spindle #3  
That5 is good news. I am on my second replacement set of roller bearings.

/ Mower deck spindle #4  
I had to replace one of my spindles two months ago because it was bent. I received one of the new spindles. It looks a lot better and tougher than the old ones. The only real difference in use is that it's greased from the top instead of the botom of the deck. So far, so good.

/ Mower deck spindle #5  
<font color="green"> only real difference in use is that it's greased from the top instead of the botom of the deck. </font>

Does this mean you have to take the belt cover off to grease it? If so, that would be a pain for me since I grease the spindles before each mow.

Speaking of that, has anyone looked into extending the tram pedal grease zerks to a more convenient location? I don't like having to remove that panel everytime I grease (yes, I am lazy). Mossroad, wasn't this a project on your list?

/ Mower deck spindle #6  
Yes, with the new type spindle you will have to remove the guard. I know it's not the safest but I removed ours and left them off after a small limb somehow found it's way in and ruined a belt. So far haven't had any problems.

Is there any published offical PT way of adjusting the belt tension?

/ Mower deck spindle #7  
<font color="blue">Mossroad, wasn't this a project on your list? </font>

Yes, it was. However, I only have 112 hours on the thing. It takes me a few weeks to get 8 hours on it and I have found that I need to take the cover off to blow out the sticks, dirt and dust that gets in there from the loader work that I do. So, after careful consideration, I don't plan to extend them for now. I also considered changing the hex bolts to dzeus fasteners, but I cannot find a local source.

/ Mower deck spindle #8  
<font color="blue"> </font> [dzeus fasteners] What kind of fasteners are they? Bob /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Mower deck spindle #9  
MossRoad <font color="green"> I also considered changing the hex bolts to dzeus fasteners, but I cannot find a local source. </font>

Aircraft Spruce carries Dzus fasteners

Leaving my covers off,
Sedgewood

/ Mower deck spindle #10  
I've attached a photo of some Dzus fasteners.

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 304067-dzus-fasteners.jpg
    304067-dzus-fasteners.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 186