1845 Problem

/ 1845 Problem #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
Does anyone that has either the 1845 or 1865 with dual wheels have problems with mud getting between the 2 wheels and packing in real hard.? If so is there any way to get it unpacked without taking the outside wheel off. ?

/ 1845 Problem #2  
Does anyone that has either the 1845 or 1865 with dual wheels have problems with mud getting between the 2 wheels and packing in real hard.? If so is there any way to get it unpacked without taking the outside wheel off. ?

I don't have a dual wheel pt, but could you rig up a rock bar to go between the tires one for each set of tires? That is how I have seen it done on trucks to knock the rocks out of between the tires before they get all the way in. That way they get the rocks out before they hit the main highway and maybe throwing the rock out into someones windshield maybe causing injuries.

/ 1845 Problem #3  
Is there space enough between the tires for a pressure washer wand? Maybe cleaning it out after each use weather you expect dirt in there or not would help. I know on my PT425 after mowing with the 60" deck, the left front wheel motor and area behind the left front rim are packed hard with grass clippings that can't be blown out with compressed air. I have to dig it out with pointy stick. If I leave it there, it turns to hard cake and then I have to remove the wheel to get it out. So I've just come to accept I have to clean it out after each use. Part of the preventative care schedule now.

/ 1845 Problem #4  
Oh Man. MUD.. We live in mud. What is crazy is when it builds up and then you drive down your driveway. Stuff is flying everywhere and your driveway looks like, well, anyway...

Here is my experience. No, nothing keeps the mud out. Pressure washing is the only cure I have except this.

Get chains. And leave them on. The chains move around and break the mud out between the tires. Since I am now running chains permanently my machine not only acts differently (it is way better IMO) it keeps mud from sticking around. Usually it is gone by the time I hit anything hard packed. Unless you are working on a pristine lawn, IMO everyone should permanently chain there PT.

/ 1845 Problem #5  
Same here - with chains on, I do not have much of an issue. The chains also block some of the opening.

Ken

/ 1845 Problem
Do you put chains over both tires or just one. I have chains that I sometimes use in the winter but I always take the dual wheels off and just use the chains on the single wheel. I don't think I could get the chains on with the duals on as there is very little space between the 2 wheels.

Attachments

• pt 1845 005.jpg
    pt 1845 005.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 131
   / 1845 Problem #7  
I typically install the chains on the outer tires of the duals. That way, if i want the tractor without chains, i can just pop off the outer wheels. I have cheap chains that i could also install in the summer instead of the studded chains. I install the inner side of the chains first because there is not lots of room. Then i tighten the outer loop.

An advantage of the chains on the outer duals is they do not rub against the tractor frame.

Ken

/ 1845 Problem #8  
Outers... Took the tire off, put the chains on and bolted the tire back on. Make sure you use high quality connectors at least on the inside. Mine were marginal and taking the tire off was too much if a pita.

Edit

I just looked at you picture and you ave different tires than ken and I. Much skinnier and I think taller. You know the size?

/ 1845 Problem
My tires are 23x8.50 x12

/ 1845 Problem
2013-04-04 06.22.14.jpg2013-04-04 06.28.30.jpg2013-04-04 06.31.51.jpg2013-04-04 06.35.04.jpgI finally decided today to take the front wheels of my 1845 and clean the mud out. I drove it previously up and down my driveway as fast as it would go and a lot of the mud between the tires flew off, then I tried prying out some more with a piece of 3/8 by 2 inch steel , still looked like a lot in there. When I took the outside wheel off I could not believe how much mud was packed in the wheels between the 2 tires. See attached pictures.