Mowing 60" Mower blades

/ 60" Mower blades #1  

Rick_Taylor

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-425, Kubota L4330HSTC Kubota RTV
60\" Mower blades

I found and ordered blades from MowProducts.com for $7.58 ea. They are 20 3/4" long, 7/16" center hole, 2 1/2" wide, and .240" thick. These appear much heavier duty than the PT blades, which we trash within 30-45 days. The sand eats away the rear raised portion of the blades and the ends which have to be reground square once or twice a week. These blades are about $5 ea. cheaper than the PT blades. Total for three blades shipped to Texas was $32.81. I'll let you know how they work out. BTW, the p/n is MP6016. They're made for a Jacobson Turfcat mower.

/ 60" Mower blades #2  
Re: 60\" Mower blades

I recently ordered new blades from PT and they are MUCH better than the originals on the tractor. Don't know what changed, but the new blades hold an edge better. With the originals, I made it a practice to grease the spindles and sharpen the blades after each 3 hour mowing. With the new blades, I still have to grease after each mowing /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but I haven't had to sharpen the blades but once in 6 mows.

/ 60" Mower blades #3  

That is good information to know for people that mow more often than me. I mow 1 acre once or twice a week. I mowed all of last year(about 6 months) and all of this year so far. I hate to admit it, but I've never sharpened the blades, or put on the spares that I ordered with the unit. The cut still looks great to me. Maybe I'll swap them out with the spares this fall after leaf season is over, sharpen and balance them, then hang them on the wall in an oiled bag for 2006 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 60" Mower blades

Must be nice to still have your original blades. We've consistantly used 4-5 sets a year on both the PT and the ZTR. I use the really heavy Gator blades on the ZTR. At least I get a chance to sharpen the fronts a couple of times before the back of the blade wears off. The sand here just kills blades.

/ 60" Mower blades #5  

<font color="blue"> The sand here just kills blades </font>

The soil here is not a problem, except near the road, where lots of sand and pebbles from the shoulder are. The property that we own and plan to build on in a few years is all sand. That will take some serious soil building to get it in shape for a lawn.

/ 60" Mower blades

I received the $7 mower blades Fri. I haven't tried them but did compare with a nearly new PT blade. They are almost identical to the PT blade only thicker and heavier. We'll see how they work out.