Oil & Fuel Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #1  

Kaon99

Bronze Member
Dear Forum,

I have had my PT-425 since Dec. 2002 and plan to change the hydraulic oil this week. I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to deal with the 10 gal of old motor oil. I would really like to know what some of your guys/gals have done. I would appreciate and advice and details you can provide. Thanks in advance. Ken in Mississippi

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #2  
Local auto parts stores (e.g. Autozone) often take up to 5 gallons at a time. I put the used oil into 5 gallon buckets and brought them in separately to be recycled. No charge.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #3  
Check with your local car part stores as mentioned. Don't tell them its from a tractor or the may get confused and label you as an Agricultural user. Tell them it is from your lawn mower. Ask how much they can take at a time. Many of them take it for free.

As mentioned, find some 5 gallon buckets with lids. Those work great. Or, as a temporary solution, find a 55 gallon plastic drum complete with lids. Drain your oil, pour it in the 55 gallon drum. Add your new oil to the tractor, then transfer the old oil from the 55 gallon drum to the now empty new containers and take those in for recycling. When I had my big tractor, I had to do that. It took 20 gallons of hydraulic fluid. Took me a few months to get it all recycled.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #4  
Take to TSC (tractor supply) that is where I take my used oil. Doesn't matter what type, YOU will have to dump it into their tank and sign a waver stating it isn't any other chemical but oil. They sell it cheap and it is cleaned and used for what they told me school heating oil.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac
Guys,
Thanks for the info, it is very helpful. Here is another question. When you change hydraulic fluid, do you worry about the contaminated fluid that is already in the hydraulic lines? I know there is not much and I did not plan to try to get it out. What do you think? Ken in Mississippi

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #6  
I wouldn't worry about it. It is more important to keep the filter changed on a regular basis, dirt away from the filler when opening, keeping the quick connects clean, etc... in my opinion.

Now, if you had some catastrophic failure that spewed metal chunks into the system, that would be another story. But for a normal fluid change like that I wouldn't be concerned.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac
Guys,

A word of warning. Be careful with the plug on the oil reservoir. I just stripped the hex threads on the plug (ouch!). I used wd40 and the right size hex wrench, but it still stripped. I called Terry at Power-Trac and he said he had stripped the plug himself in the past. The remedy is to weld a nut onto the hex plug. If it is really stuck like mine is, I think the only way to get the plug out without stripping it is to heat the outside part first. If anyone knows a better way, please add your comments. - Ken in Mississippi

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #8  
Heat on an oil reservoir? Yikes. Maybe run the unit until the oil gets really hot, then try breaking it loose.

Worse comes to worse, slowly shove 5' of hose down in the tank through the filler except for the last 6 inches.
Plug the end of the hose and yank it up and over the side to a drainpan on the ground.
Remove the plug and is should start siphoning out on its own.
Keep the end in the tank near the bottom and you should get most of the oil out.

You could also try an easy-out like these:
Irwin 53535 5 pc Easy Out Screw Extractor Set
I have a set and they work really well.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #9  
Guys,

A word of warning. Be careful with the plug on the oil reservoir. I just stripped the hex threads on the plug (ouch!). I used wd40 and the right size hex wrench, but it still stripped. I called Terry at Power-Trac and he said he had stripped the plug himself in the past. The remedy is to weld a nut onto the hex plug. If it is really stuck like mine is, I think the only way to get the plug out without stripping it is to heat the outside part first. If anyone knows a better way, please add your comments. - Ken in Mississippi

If you decide to use easy outs proto has a square easy out that is tapered length wise, they have hardened sharp corners that will cut into the metal and get a good bite to turn it out. Use the largest one that you can drive into the hex socket, remember you have a limited distance that you can drive it in unless you drill the bottom of the hex plug out. If you do resort to drilling through the plug if you use left hand drill bits [you drill in reverse] the drill when it starts cutting it is cutting in the direction that you would want to turn the drain plug so in most cases when it bites in the piece that you want out will often back out. Take my advise for what it is worth, if you do use this method try to get the metal shavings out as best you can if there is any and make sure you don't drill into the threads that is in the tank drain port. I don't know if pipe dope was used on the threads of the plug or not, but if there was that might make removing harder and someone else might have an idea. Remember you are the one doing the work and sometimes really good suggestions don't work but sometimes they do. If you are trying the easy outs a crescent wrench on the head and tapping the end of the easy out with a hammer as you are trying to turn it sometimes helps. Make sure before you remove the old plug that you have a new one on hand to replace it with beforehand. No oftener than you would change the oil out of the hydraulic tank, Mosses Idea of syphoning out the oil is a real good idea, one of those squeeze bulb hand pumps that you transfer kerosine into a heater would work to get the oil out.

/ Changing hydraulic oil in 425 power-trac #10  
Your filter will probably catch the metal shavings also before it gets to the pumps. Hope you get it figured out with the least trouble.