Oil & Fuel Help needed finding the air bleed port

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #1  

fnoergaard

Tractor
IH B-275, Power Trac PT-425
Hi again,

I've changed the hydraulic filter on my PT-425, and need to bleed the air out of the hydraulic pump.
It's a Bondioli&Pavesi model HP P2. I can't find the air bleed port.

I've tried the owners manual, but it's useless, as it describes another pump.
Also I've searched this forum, but none of the discussions seems to relate to my pump.

Some posts mentions a hydraulic hose used for bleeding air, which was supplied by Power Trac with the tractor. I did not get a hose when I bought my 425 - can I bleed it without one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1137.jpgIMG_1138.jpgIMG_1139.jpgIMG_1140.jpg

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #2  
You can bleed it either with a hose with the right JIC fitting (at least on mine) or even stretch a rubber or tygon tube over the fitting you have.

Ken

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #3  
Hi again,

I've changed the hydraulic filter on my PT-425, and need to bleed the air out of the hydraulic pump.
It's a Bondioli&Pavesi model HP P2. I can't find the air bleed port.

I've tried the owners manual, but it's useless, as it describes another pump.
Also I've searched this forum, but none of the discussions seems to relate to my pump.

Some posts mentions a hydraulic hose used for bleeding air, which was supplied by Power Trac with the tractor. I did not get a hose when I bought my 425 - can I bleed it without one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 315440View attachment 315441View attachment 315442View attachment 315443

I think you should use a hose to bleed the pump unless you want a mess of oil all over the place.

It goes like this....
Once you find the bleed port, you put the bleed hose fitting on the bleed port and run the hose into your hydraulic tank and submerg the open end of the bleed hose in the hydraulic fluid to cover the open end well.
You disconnect the spark plugs so the engine cannot start up.
Crack open the bleed port fitting
You crank the engine for 5-10 seconds and stop.
While cranking, you watch the air bubbles come out of the hose end in the hudraulic tank.
You wait a minute or two for the starter to cool down, then repeat the cranking for another 5-10 seconds.
Watch bubbles.
Wait.
Crank.
Watch.
Wait.
Crank.
Repeat, repeat, repeat until no more bubbles come out of the open hose end in the hydraulic tank.
Close the bleed port.
Remove the hose.
No mess no fuss.
I can't see how you would bleed it without a hose and not make a mess.

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #4  
As for the location of your bleed port....
The bleed port on mine is on the side of the pump.
I have a cable operated pump on my 2001 model PT425. My cable attaches to the mechanism on the top of the pump.
Power Trac converted to a hydraulically operated pump sometime after 2001.
I thought the hydraulically operated pumps had the mechanism on the top of the pump as well, but could be mistaken.
From your pictures, it appears the hydraulically operated mechanism is on the side.
Could your pump be installed 90 degrees rotated and thus, your bleed port may be on the bottom now?

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #5  
I think your bleed port is the capped end of the t connection at the top. Don't hold me to it but it seems to me to be the logical choice as no other port has a cover.

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #6  
I think your bleed port is the capped end of the t connection at the top. Don't hold me to it but it seems to me to be the logical choice as no other port has a cover.
Unless its on the bottom. ;)

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #8  
I think you should use a hose to bleed the pump unless you want a mess of oil all over the place.

It goes like this....
Once you find the bleed port, you put the bleed hose fitting on the bleed port and run the hose into your hydraulic tank and submerg the open end of the bleed hose in the hydraulic fluid to cover the open end well.
You disconnect the spark plugs so the engine cannot start up.
Crack open the bleed port fitting
You crank the engine for 5-10 seconds and stop.
While cranking, you watch the air bubbles come out of the hose end in the hudraulic tank.
You wait a minute or two for the starter to cool down, then repeat the cranking for another 5-10 seconds.
Watch bubbles.
Wait.
Crank.
Watch.
Wait.
Crank.
Repeat, repeat, repeat until no more bubbles come out of the open hose end in the hydraulic tank.
Close the bleed port.
Remove the hose.
No mess no fuss.
I can't see how you would bleed it without a hose and not make a mess.

MR, This is the procedure I've used since you posted them a few years ago. But I do not understand the need for the line that says: Crack open the bleed port fitting???

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #9  
Are you referring to how far to open the bleed port?

/ Help needed finding the air bleed port #10  
Are you referring to how far to open the bleed port?

No, I forgot that the older machines are different that mine. On my 2010 PT 425 the bleed port has a cap on it. Once the cap is removed and the supplied hose with fitting is screwed on its open and ready. Thee is no additional "cracking" of anything required. The rest of the procedure is identical.