422 wheel motor leaks

/ 422 wheel motor leaks #1  

SwampmanLA

Silver Member
The shaft seals on the two rear wheel motors of my 422 have failed and are leaking. I know I could pull the motors and ship them to Tazwell for rebuilding but I need my Trac. Anybody have luck finding and replacing shaft seals on a 422?

From the Swamp

/ 422 wheel motor leaks #2  
Just curious if you had the tires reversed?

Go to the manufacturer for the seals if possible.

/ 422 wheel motor leaks #3  
Just curious if you had the tires reversed?

Go to the manufacturer for the seals if possible.

/ 422 wheel motor leaks
Nope. Wheels are the correct way.

/ 422 wheel motor leaks #5  
I just replaced the seals and bearings in the White CE series wheel motor on my 72 inch brush mower. The parts info can be found on the White web site as well as info on parts distributors. I have learned from the site that the CE motors have a preferred rotating direction. The direction can be changed by changing a manifold in the motor, one is for Clockwise direction the other is for bi-directional rotation. However the ports on the motor are such that any time pressure is applied to 'B' port, that pressure is also applied to the shaft seals, this will eventually cause the seals to leak. If your thinking of replacing wheel motors I would use motors with a case drain it relieves pressure on the seals. I don't think PowerTrac made a wise choice when they put drainless wheel motors on the smaller tractors.

/ 422 wheel motor leaks
Does someone know for sure that 422 wheel motors are White CE?

/ 422 wheel motor leaks #7  
The 422 uses 12.5ci White RS as far as I know, and the newer 425 with higher lift and bolt-on wheel motor boxes uses 14.3ci White CE. My 2001 model 425 came with White RS also, but when they redesigned the 425 for higher lift arms and such, they upgraded the motors to White CE.

/ 422 wheel motor leaks
Thanks for the tip. I made contact with my local dealer and they suggest not repairing but replacing with a new motor. He stated that this is not an expensive motor and depending on hat is wrong it could easily be over 50% of the price of a new motor to repair one. I am inclined to buy two motors and use the old ones for building some simple accessories. The only way to make the numbers work out is to do the repair yourself. I don't think I want to do the rebuild myself. Anybody have experience rebuilding a wheel motor? If so, was it difficult?

/ 422 wheel motor leaks #9  
I recently bought a seal kit for the 422 wheel motor on Ebay. I haven't rebuilt it yet, but it was only ~$40 so I figured I order it and have it around when I get the time to try it. I also considered buying and new motor and fixing the old one as a back up, but the new motors aren't all that cheap. PT sells them for over $300 I believe, but you might be able to find the exact model for $200+ online. I think there are a lot of different options, and some versions are much cheaper than others in the same product line.

/ 422 wheel motor leaks
Good news, sort of. My leaks are fixable with a seal kit. Terry says these motors are just about indestructible he really thought my power problems are elsewhere. So he suggested I get all four tires off the ground and then try to turn then one at a time. If the resistance is the same on all four motors then they are good. Well I did the test and found I had a sheared hub key on a rear motor. I plan on fixing that tomorrow.