JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
I KEEP READING THE FORMS ON THE PT 422 AND SOME OF THE PROBLEMS BEING ENCOUNTERED. I HAVE HAD MY 422 WITH ROBIN ENGINE FOR 3 1/2 YEARS NOW AND KNOCK ON WOOD THE ONLY THINGS I HAVE DONE OTHER THAN NORMAL MAINTENANCE IS REPLACE ONE QUICK ATTACH COUPLING, (HARD TO RELEASE) AND REPLACED SPARK PLUGS AT 400 HOURS, (HARD STARTING IN COLD TEMPERATURES).
I PROBABLY USE MY POWER TRAC HARDER THAN THE AVERAGE HOMEOWNER, MOW ABOUT 5 ACRES WEEKLY IN THE SUMMER ON SLOPES UP TO 23 DEGREES SLOPE ,WHAT IS OUR YARD USED TO BE JUST A GROWN UP FIELD, NOT TOO SMOOTH ALSO MOW ABOUT 2 MILES OF TRAM ROADS SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR ,USE ROTO TILLER TO DIG UP 50' X 150' GARDEN WITH LOTS OF STONE, USE BUCKET TO HAUL FIRE WOOD, STONE AND DIRT, AND DIG OUT DITCHES AND SMALL TREES. IT SURPRIZES ME WHAT THIS LITTLE MACHINE CAN DO.
IT SEEMS TO ME THAT POWER TRAC MIGHT BE SLIPPING SOME LATELY ON THEIR QUALITY CONTROL OF MACHINES.
AS FAR AS THE ROBIN ENGINE GOES I AM VERY PLEASED WITH IT, BUT IT WOULD BE NICE IF IT HAD MORE POWER ON THE HILLS WHEN MOWING.

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #2  
Congratulations! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

They are little workhorses, aren't they!

I only have about 115 on mine. Used it to dig up the septic tank lids in about two minutes last Sunday(routine pumping time). I actually had to use my wheelbarrow last week /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I had a very narrow walkway to stone and the PT couldn't fit in the 36" path. I had to dig it out from under a bunch of pool toys under the deck and put air in the tire. But I still used the PT to load the wheel barrow. Sure beats shoveling and my back is very happy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #3  
mr, i can't believe i just past you /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifi now have 121 hrs on the 422, even with the trouble i had with the engine governor.
it's running great ,i hope it stays that way for at least as long as ernie's /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #4  
Congrats EM, /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
It's looking like your going to be one of the first to report on "long term" Robin use...Hang in there...
We all know that Kohler can go the distance with a little care and feeding, but I am curious as to what Robin can do...Wonder what some of the pro's have on their 22's.
I recently commented on the NGK's I pulled out of curiosity after 47hrs of use...The electrode area was clean as new with no deposits and NO coloration...What PN# plug are(were) you using and how did they look?
I've found that Kawasaki oil filters fit our motors (if they're easier to come by) and there is a place in the city (Russo's) that packages filters by the case for the trade @ close to $4...
On those hills, are you cutting up/dn or across?

Continued Good Luck!

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422
To answer your question on the mowing I mow across the slope usually, I can mow down without any problem but going up some of the steeper grades I have to turn the mower off or it will not climb back up the hill, that is only where the slope is over 20 degrees.
The spark plugs on my pt when I got it was autolite I don't know the number off hand, when I replaced them I used the same autolite that had been in originally. The plugs did not look bad when I replaced them.
What number kawasaki filter matches up with robins?

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #6  
Sorry...been away for a 4-day weekend...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but going up some of the steeper grades I have to turn the mower off or it will not climb back up the hill)</font>

Same here...Annoying (but saved for it's other attributes).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What number kawasaki filter matches up with robins? )</font>

Don't know which of these 2 KAW filters is the best match. (49065-2078 and 49065-2071) I would choose smallest micron rating if they're different (25 or 30?)...and, too, the closest physical dimension...they must both have the 3/4"-16 thread pitch of the Robin...I'm not using a KAW filter but this "Russo" #L32 packaged...I'm still looking into other (Pennzoil) filters to see if they have one for the job...I'm still trying to get specs on the PZ39,40,41... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #7  
Please don't get me wrong, but I really wouldn't recommend using Kawasaki filter. Please stick with Robin Genuine parts, please keep this in mind and if there will be oil related failure we'll be asking about which filter your machine has installed on it.

Regards,

Jack Gawecki
Robin America, Inc.

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #8  
Jack,
Welcome to TBN and the wonderful family of CUT owners. Really appreciate your willingness to participate under the Robin name. I'm sure there will be many questions that can be put to rest with your expertise.
PJ

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #9  
I'm wondering about the problem of not enough power on hills. I think this may have to do with the design of the hydraulics.This would have to be my only disappointment with my 425. even with the power take off turned off I have trouble climbing steep hills when the mower deck is hooked up. When the pto lines are not hooked it does not have trouble with these slopes. This is in an area that is too narrow to practically mow side to side so I'm having to adjust my mowing pattern to handle this issue.But I have to agree that I'm amazed that so affordable machine can do so much!

/ JUST WENT OVER 500 HOURS ON PT 422 #10  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif