Sorry I disappeared for a few.

/ Sorry I disappeared for a few. #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I know we were in the middle of a few conversations but we found out our hot water heater has had a slow leak for a while. Damage is extensive and frustrating as the house is a total POS. Not worth any of the money we are now required to put into it (actually insurance seems to be paying, but the new kitchen is worth more than the actual house (not the land))

Pix of our current status

Attachments

• IMG_20130522_161110_199.jpg
    IMG_20130522_161110_199.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 202
   / Sorry I disappeared for a few. #4  
I can sure sympathize with you. We bought a new custom built double wide mobile home in 1997. Five years later, I noticed the floor seem soft in front of the washing machine. The slow leaking water heater was in a closet on the other side of the wall from the washing machine. And yep, insurance paid part of the cost of the repairs, but then when we moved back to town and bought a small mobile home temporarily, I had a devil of a time finding insurance because, as they said, I'd once had a water damage claim.

/ Sorry I disappeared for a few. #5  
Bummer, I've been meaning to buy one of those gizmos that sound an alarm when they get wet...think I'll do it now!

/ Sorry I disappeared for a few. #6  
Incidentally, I had not been checking my water heater for leaks because I knew it was installed in a metal pan with a drain through the floor. That sounded good, right? But then they wrapped the water heater in a thick layer of fiberglass insulation which went down inside that pan and completely filled it, and that stopped the leak from going down through the drain.

/ Sorry I disappeared for a few. #7  
That does not look like any amount of fun!

A buddy of mine had a number of leaks in his mobile home a couple of winters ago, gray plastic pipe. First time it happened somewhere under his dining room, the floor torn out like yours, replaced the leaking gray pipe with pvc, but only that portion. A few Weeks later another leak discovered under the kitchen floor, again insurance paid but only to replace that portion. Eventually, after a few more leaks showed up, he decided to just go ahead and foot the bill to have all of it replaced. So his house was torn up for close to two months, during freezing cold weather. He would come into work and do all his morning stuff, shower, brush teeth etc. Eating out everyday for every meal. Go home to a freezing cold house to sleep. Not a happy camper.

/ Sorry I disappeared for a few. #9  
I had a water leak and then a mold smell. I tried various things to treat the smell. Nothing seemed to work. I then bought an ozone generator. It got rid of the mold smell, but left behind a much worse smell. After one month of airing out the house, the smell had spread to the whole house and was so bad we had to leave it for 6 weeks. Then we had to air the house out every eight hours for about 30 minutes to keep the smell down. This started last summer and at this time we have gotten rid of most of the smell. We did throw away about half of our clothes and the carpet in the treated room. We still run a lot of fans, but I think we are almost there. We only have one room we don't use and it is probably ok, we are just being cautious.
I also did not post for many months and really did not feel like discussing it. I do say be leery of using an ozone generator. Insurance did not cover any of this and the lawyer said I did not have a case against the ozone generator company.

/ Sorry I disappeared for a few. #10  
Hope everything works out for you.