Tram pump issues?

/ Tram pump issues? #1  

frischtr

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-425
Hopefully it's something else, but I believe my 425 tram pump is on the fritz.

Nearing the end of my mowing chores for the day I lost about 50% or so of my forward and reverse speed. Flipped off the PTO circuit right away to take load off of the engine. The treadle seems to work properly, but the PT is sluggish to move forward or backward, and with greatly reduced torque and speed. The pump whines even when not moving, never did that before. No creep when off the treadle. No broken hoses or seals that I can see. PTO and steering/aux circuits still work fine.

BTW this is the new style 425 tram circuit, not the hydroback style. 2010 PT-425, 180 hours.

Could it be a wheel motor instead of the pump? Or the treadle valve? The whine from the pump is what has me concerned. I'll be calling Terry tomorrow, but any ideas on what to try in the meantime?

~Tim~

/ Tram pump issues? #2  
What you describe is what happened to me. My tram pump went out at 50 hours. Glad it was under warranty, it is very expensive to replace. Power Trac said my swash plate just fell apart. I could eventially push or pull my 425 like a wagon. Absolutely no resistance on the wheels at all. Terry said he never seen one go that early and that bad. Mine was still under warranty thank goodness.

/ Tram pump issues?
Yep, I have an idea of how much they are. As you can imagine, I'll be pretty pissed if that is, in fact, the problem at 3 years and 180 hours old.

/ Tram pump issues? #5  
Did you perhaps do an air bleed on your pump recently?

If so, did you turn the bleed screw fully closed.

/ Tram pump issues?
Could there be something obstructing the intake like maybe a bad/plugged hydro filter? Good luck.

I doubt it, PTO circuit and steering/aux circuit work great.

Did you perhaps do an air bleed on your pump recently?

If so, did you turn the bleed screw fully closed.

None in the last 30 hours.

Terry said with the whining sound, its definitely the pump. Off to PT for a look-see...

/ Tram pump issues? #7  
Do you not have a separate pump for the PTO and steering.

I have three hyd pumps and all the tram pump does is to power the wheels.

/ Tram pump issues?
I believe the filter is only used in the tram circuit.

Yes, after looking more closely at the drawing you are correct. Worth a look tomorrow before I unhook the pump. I just took the fuel tank, battery, and tray out this evening and vacuumed the tub out.