Mowing Brush mower maintenance

/ Brush mower maintenance #21  
I think my custom blades set me back $90 for 6. Holes are 1inch and we just use a piece of pipe cut a tad thicker than 1/2 "

/ Brush mower maintenance #22  
Yes, the blades were ~$70/pair, bushings, about $6/ea.
The bolts are 'normal' 5/8 bolts with a shoulder. I wish the shoulder were 1/8" taller to keep it out of the bushing.

All the best,

Peter

Use longer bolts... they have a longer shoulder. If it has too much shoulder, put a flat washer in.

/ Brush mower maintenance
MR- Thanks for the suggestion. The issue that I had was that either the washers cause the bolt head to protrude toward the ground (bad), or you loose the stabilizing effect of the hub on the blade (at least not good). For the hub side, I got a little stumped looking for an oversize, extra thick fender washer, but perhaps I can come up with a spacer plate of some sort.

You have me thinking; I had tried to find a roller bearing set, but I couldn't find one thin enough. If I can get a large enough washer....hmmm.

I'll take another stab at it to see what I can come up with.

All the best,

Peter

/ Brush mower maintenance #24  
From the packing slip, for the 48" brush cutter:

M844-55 Set Blades $57.80 (pair)
M1253 Spacer $5.85 (each)
BH062-11-225 Bolt $2,80 (each)

I'd already found aftermarket replacements for the bolts at TSC. Looks like I need to look for a source the bushing (spacers) locally too, either TSC or Farmer's Co-Op or something. $5.85 each is a bit much for what they are...

/ Brush mower maintenance #25  
If someone could get the ID of the hole in the blade and then the OD of the bolt, you can go to a place like this:
Metals Depot? - Buy Metal Online! Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Brass
And order as little as a 2ft section of DOM (drawn over mandrel) tube for a little less than $25 like this for example:

T21316
1 OD x .188 wall x .625 ID 1020 DOM Structural Round Steel Tube
2 Ft.
In Stock
$22.94

and cut about 48 of them for yourself on a band saw. Not too bad considerring 4 of them from PT would cost that much.
Maybe I'll take my own advise! :laughing:

/ Brush mower maintenance
Dear MR,

That's a great suggestion. Especially if you have a band saw, or know someone who does.

I don't know about the current material, but the prior material was a bronze alloy that was sintered with embedded oil. "Oiltite" or something like it. I don't know if it is essential, and since it doesn't seem to lubricate much in my use, I'm not saying that I think you ought to use it.

FWIW: I did notice that the other major brands seem to use no lubrication and hardened bolts/blades with a large load bearing surface.

All the best,

Peter
If someone could get the ID of the hole in the blade and then the OD of the bolt, you can go to a place like this:
Metals Depot? - Buy Metal Online! Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Brass
And order as little as a 2ft section of DOM (drawn over mandrel) tube for a little less than $25 like this for example:

T21316
1 OD x .188 wall x .625 ID 1020 DOM Structural Round Steel Tube
2 Ft.
In Stock
$22.94

and cut about 48 of them for yourself on a band saw. Not too bad considerring 4 of them from PT would cost that much.
Maybe I'll take my own advise! :laughing: