Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Default Mower blade orientation make a difference?

I remove my blades a few times each year. Sometimes for sharpening and other times I install some old beat up blades when I plan to mow pasture or trails. Even though it's a finish mower deck, if I take care I can clear trails and small brush/saplings fairly easily.
    This last time that I put my good blades back on I decided to make the outer blades parallel to each other and then the center blade at 90* to them. It seems I'm getting a better cut and much less wind rows when the grass is a bit thick/tall. Is this my imagination or what?
    If diamonds are a woman's best friend then why does man's best friend like to drink from the toilet??

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Mower blade orientation make a difference?

If you have a drive belt on the deck itself it makes no difference and the next time you hit a log, rock, etc, they will go out of alignment.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Yep, it won't take long for the orientation to change, or at least it doesn't on ours.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Maybe I just did a good job last time I sharpened them.
    If diamonds are a woman's best friend then why does man's best friend like to drink from the toilet??

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall140 View Post
    Maybe I just did a good job last time I sharpened them.
    Probably, its amazing how much difference sharp blades make.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Yeah. I never sharpened my blades for years...... then I did and oh my what a difference it makes. Now I do it a couple times a year.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

J_J
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall140 View Post
    I remove my blades a few times each year. Sometimes for sharpening and other times I install some old beat up blades when I plan to mow pasture or trails. Even though it's a finish mower deck, if I take care I can clear trails and small brush/saplings fairly easily.
    This last time that I put my good blades back on I decided to make the outer blades parallel to each other and then the center blade at 90* to them. It seems I'm getting a better cut and much less wind rows when the grass is a bit thick/tall. Is this my imagination or what?
    Just pure imagination, as the belt and pulley will have slippage, and the blades after use could be at any angle, and blades could also turn on the shaft due to bolt tightness..

I had one mower, a Troybuilt that had a cogged belt and pulley, and the blades had to be perpendicular to each other, or they might touch/bang each other.

As far as sharpening blades, you can cut a tomato with a sharp knife, or you could karate chop it, but what a difference.

Those people that say that they never sharpen blades are not cutting, but ripping. Besides, it takes less HP using sharp blades.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Veteran Member
    Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St. Louis.
    Tractor
    Bobcat 235, Gravely ZTR.

Quote Originally Posted by J_J View Post

As far as sharpening blades, you can cut a tomato with a sharp knife, or you could karate chop it, but what a difference.

Those people that say that they never sharpen blades are not cutting, but ripping. Besides, it takes less HP using sharp blades.
    So, what does "sharp" mean to you? I bought a new set of blades for my ZT. The blades were not "sharp" as I would define the word. I could hold and squeeze the blades without fear of getting cut. The dealer said specifically that the blades should not be sharpened before installation and that a blade that could cut paper was too sharp, would dull very quickly and is unnecessary.

I installed without sharpening and the grass looks cut too me vs. torn. I am not real picky about the grass -- my only issue is that it all gets cut and there are no stragglers.

MoKelly

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

I imagine if you sharpen to the point of cutting paper, the edge would have less strength because the cross section would be quite small.

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

The second a sharp blade hits something that is not nice an;d soft, it gets dull. I don't feel I hit anything on my lawnmower but at the end of the year the blades are dented up good.

As I understand it, brush hogs tend to not have sharpened blades, for two reasons. One is that good luck keeping that edge if you are using it for its design, the second is that by breaking, instead of cutting, you increase the chance of killing the plant, which tends to be the more desireable result when brush hogging.

I am going to sharpen, but at the moment I am mired in a dozen other projects so the property is getting long long grass....
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast