Thinking about buying a PT425.

/ Thinking about buying a PT425. #1  

dannygw

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power-Trac PT425 purchased May 2004, John Deere 1025R , Dec 2013
This forum is great. Until I found this forum and the other PowerTrac info on the web, I was considering a compact tractor (Kubota). Now I know that the PT425 is the tractor I want. Even with the problems some owners are having, everyone loves their PT. I hope I can save enough to buy one this fall, if not next spring for sure. I live in Bismarck, ND on 7 acres of flat prairie. I mow about 1 acre and rototill a large garden. I also have a lot of snow most winters. My list includes the PT425, a 48" mower, 48" tiller, 48" box blade, snow blade, forks, and the 5 and 10 cu ft buckets. I will most likely make the long drive (1500 miles) to Tazewell for the instructions/seminar and bring my PT back home in the same trip. I have a few questions: 1) Has anyone ever got a sale price on their PT425? Will PT dicker on the price or are we lucky to get one at any price? 2) Are there any other accessories one needs to get with the tractor (other than maybe one extra oil filter)? 3) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help. Danny

/ Thinking about buying a PT425. #2  
Danny,
I am not a PT owner but followed this forum for about a year as I was trying to make a tractor decision. I can only address one of your questions.

<font color="blue"> 1) Has anyone ever got a sale price on their PT425? Will PT dicker on the price or are we lucky to get one at any price? </font>

My experience has been that they are firm on their price and have never heard of anyone being able to dicker with them. This is not an entirely bad thing as you know going in exactly what the price will be and do not have to worry about someone else getting a better deal than you (if this is something that would bother you).

I'll have to leave the other questions to those with actual PT experience. From everthing I've learned on this forum, you will love this tractor. Its an engineering marvel, in my opinion.

Good luck.

/ Thinking about buying a PT425. #3  
Welcome to TBN!

<font color="blue"> 1) Has anyone ever got a sale price on their PT425? Will PT dicker on the price or are we lucky to get one at any price? </font>

No one has gotten a sale price that I know of. That makes me feel better, as one of the reasons I went with factory direct was I could never get any of the BIG 3 dealers to get me a reasonable price or explaination as to how they came up with their price (example: JD4100 at 9 different dealers = 9 different prices). This just ticks me off, as why should someone get a better deal than me? Because he knows the dealer, buys more stuff than me, has pictures of the dealer in compromising situations /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, my feelings of inadequacy when dealing on cars, trucks and tractors has surfaced /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Bottom line is, I just hate to have to dicker on price with some guy. Give me your best price first time or I'm outa there /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<font color="blue">2) Are there any other accessories one needs to get with the tractor </font>

Hard to say, not knowing your total needs. If the snow is really deep, you might consider a blower. We've had a few 12" snowfalls and the plow was just fine for those. Never had much more than that at any one time, but many folks that get big snowfalls often really praise a snowblower as once you pile stuff with a plow, it usually stays there for the winter. If you run out of room to pile it, whatca gonna do? Blowers avoid this by throwing it far away. But the blowers are pretty pricey. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Thinking about buying a PT425. #4  
Last year they had a year end sale at Christmas time. It amounted to a $1000 or so off the 422 & maybe the 425. Maybe they'll do it again, who know's.

/ Thinking about buying a PT425. #5  
When talking with PowerTrac personnel, they mentioned that the 425 was one of the most popular units. If your looking to buy you may want to get on the list for one of the production runs.
PJ