battery opinions

/ battery opinions #1  

washita

Silver Member
Tractor
pt 425, JI Case, Gravely Comm.10A
well, after six years and 300 hours the battery finally died, any opinions on a quality battery at reasonable price, would like to put in an optima battery but the price is a little restrictive at the moment (tuition, books etc.etc.) unfortunately the 51 series batteries appear pricey compared to automotive and lawn and garden batteries

/ battery opinions #2  
Any deep cranking battery is going to do you well. I personally like Interstate (they make the Optima but there regular batteries are good). Also Costco has good batteries.

/ battery opinions #3  
   / battery opinions #5  
Our local wrecking yard sells used batteries out of diesel pick ups for 20.00 with exchange. They are in literally everything I own right now. Little John Deere riding mower does not know it has a dual terminal 900 cold cranking amp battery.

/ battery opinions #7  
well, after six years and 300 hours the battery finally died, any opinions on a quality battery at reasonable price, would like to put in an optima battery but the price is a little restrictive at the moment (tuition, books etc.etc.) unfortunately the 51 series batteries appear pricey compared to automotive and lawn and garden batteries

I'm not sure of the battery size and location on your PT425.
On my 2001 PT425 the space is very limited and I had to go with an exact replacement case size. I have had good luck with the Autozone house brand battery that was the same size as my original. I think I lost my factory battery at 6-7 years, then replaced it with the Autozone house brand. It lasted about 5 years as well, so you are right on track. When it died, I took it back to Autozone for size comparison and they checked my account record, saw it was still under warranty and sold me a replacement battery at the price I paid for the original, plus a little off for pro-rating 5 years of service. Anyhow, I don't know if you have priced batteries lately, but it was original about a 50 buck battery. 5 years later, it was about a 100 buck battery. They gave it to me for the 5 year old price. I didn't aske them. They told me, that's the way the warranty works. Also, I buy all my car and truck parts at Autozone. They have a really generous lifetime warranty and they keep your records on the computer for all your vehicles. I've had several parts go bad after years of service, taken them back and gotten free replacement just by them checking my phone number. I'm really happy with Autozone.

:thumbsup:

/ battery opinions #8  
Around here Costco has the ones for the 1445 at a reasonable price. My local Sears was the only other group that had the size that I needed in stock. Like MR, basically nothing else fits in the battery holder, so I need to have the factory battery size.

Given how long your battery has lasted, it would seem unlikely that your tractor needs the performance characteristics of an Optima. (Cool technology, but probably overkill for a PT, and certainly not for limited budgets.)

My factory battery died pretty early, two + years, but the Costco replacement is going strong at four years.

FWIW, it is a good time to clean the battery clamps and spray them with a protective film.

All the best,

Peter

/ battery opinions #10  
I just realized that washita has the 425. I was thinking he had the 1430 so while I stand by my manufacturer suggestion, I have no clue if they will fit.