New PT-425 Owner Intro

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro #1  

agjones

Platinum Member
Tractor
Rk55HC 4n1 fel/bh, Power-Trac 1850, 425d, Terex pt30, Kubota kx033, bx1880, yanmar 8x8 dumper, Magnatrac mh5000 w/ loader, six way blade & backhoe, Dew-eze ATM72LC Slope Mower, Terramite t6 4wd, DR Power brush mower
Hi Gang--I've appreciated the exchange on the PT forum and relied on this info in my decision to purchase a PT-425 last week in Tazewell. After some training and showroom time, I convinced Terry and his cohorts to stuff all my new attachments and tractor in my small trailer and cavernous Dodge Sprinter...since getting home, I've got 25 hrs clocked and have done the initial maint. I've got quite a laundry list of PT tasks at the campground I run near Hanging Rock, NC, including developing a trail system....so the hours are going to flow freely for a while.

I've been truly impressed with the handling and capabilities of this machine. I selected the PT425 over the Toro Dingo Line among other mini skids and over the subcompact tractors from MF and Kubota. Definitely the right decision. none of the other possible machines can touch the PT on slope handling and groundspeed. Truly a quality built package of tractor and attachments.

I will be posting some photos as I document the trail development since I'll be using this machine to build to USFS/IMBA standards. I'm looking forward to joining the conversation and sharing info on projects and solutions.

Andrew

Last edited:
   / New PT-425 Owner Intro #2  
Welcome. Looking forward for pictures.

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro #3  
Welcome to TBN!!! :D

What attachments did you get (when you have a moment)?

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro
Thanks, your info/photos were really useful to me. I appreciate you sharing them. Brush and Finish Mowers, Tiller, 4in1, Utility Grapple, Stump Cutter, Trencher, Minihoe, Box Blade, PHD/bits, Forks.

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro #5  
Good assortment! I'd like to get a 4-in-1 or grapple. I've been very satisfied with our PT425 going on 12 years. About 550 hours. Showing its age. Needs to be sanded down and painted. Surface rust.
Brush hog deck has cracks near front wheel bracket mounting location. Plates of steel and a welder will take care of it.
Be extra careful with that brush hog. Spinning blades of death that have no problem shattering large rocks and branches/roots and tossing them 75 feet.
Also will throw the blade that far if the bolt gets shattered. So be warned. No bystanders and be warry of buildings, expensive assets, too. ;)

I suppose the same thing would be said about the stump cutter but I don't have one.

Anyhow, the machine is a dream for me. Easy to repair. Easy to modify. Easy to make custom attachments or adapt to other attachments. Hope you enjoy it. :thumbsup:

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro #6  
Welcome aboard! Nice set of attachments. The utility grapple is my most useful tool when I'm not mowing. I echo Moss's caution on the brush cutter. When started there is a loud bang as the blades hit the retaining bolts before spinning nicely. Place throttle lever in lowest setting when staring then after the bang move to full throttle for mowing. Also note there is no blade break. The blades will keep spinning for a long time after the PTO is switched off. Have fun!.

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro #7  
Good points. I also start my brush hog at the lowest throttle setting then increase the throttle once its spinning.
I also watch the lovejoy connector when I shut off the PTO and wait until I can see that it is completely stopped before leaving the seat. For that matter, I usually shut off my engine and set the brake, too. ;)

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro
Thanks for the welcome and feedback @MossRoad and @Clumber, I'm pretty safety savvy...if you ignore the terrain I'm willing to work in! But I do pretty much always wear a Husqvarna type Chainsaw helmet when operating spinning/cutting gear. That way my eyes, ears and face have a line of defense.

I'm glad to receive your tips on the brushcutter...and other attachments. In fact, I went and double checked the forum after using the brushcutter a couple times with the big bang startup. There's another post somewhere in here that indicates that the angry sounding startup is the nature of the beast. To stay out of the line of fire, currently I don't use the Brush deck off the ground. But as I work far in the woods, solo, doing trail maintenance, I'm considering modding the unit with a bar that pitches the deck forward so I can more safely (for me) engage briars and other light brush that encroaches on the trailway. I work on closed trails...but look out any way bystanders! So if you're on a trail and hear a mower...do what the signs say and don't be a victim. ;-)

So low RPM to engage blades, got it. I really want to be a solid 'set the brake' kind of guy...so is there any way to make it less of a fight to release? With a steel cable anchor, I work in some pretty precarious positions...so treadling off the brake to release is not ideal.

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro #9  
The parking brake is a real PIA. I carry a large channel lock pliers to use as a lever to push the handle down. Any thing that can slide between the brake lever and the frame will work. That lever can rise on its own at times. So if you hear clinking check the position of the lever.

/ New PT-425 Owner Intro #10  
Sometime turning left/right will loosen the brake. The brush cutter will clunk less and slow down faster in tallish grass too.

Hope to see some of you pictures soon. :)