A few finish mower questions

/ A few finish mower questions #1  

MuncyBob

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 422
I do not recall, but does anybody know the length of the belt on the 48" deck? Mine is looking a bit shabby and thinking having a replacement on hand would be a good idea. I know, I could just take it off and have my answer.

Regarding the hard plastic rear wheels.....what has been done to replace those with something that doesn't dig up the soft ground as much? Maybe rubber wheel that takes air?

Has anybody come up with a quicker way to adjust the rear wheel height? When I cut pasture I raise my deck to avoid hitting hidden rock or branches and while it's not a big time consuming task I wonder if somebody came up with a quicker way to do this?

/ A few finish mower questions #3  
For the hard plastic wheels, you could look into the rounded type. E.g.

1272712727.jpg

Or convert them to a caster wheel, which would be more costly and difficult, but could be done.

You might be able to replace the bolts with a rod and cotter pin to speed up adjustment. Any play could be removed with washers.

/ A few finish mower questions
I just got my 10% off coupon from TSC and I'll be looking for wheels like that when I make my next trip. The caster wheel option crossed my mind but will the deck move properly since the front wheels are also casters?

/ A few finish mower questions #5  
Good luck! Be sure to post pics and model numbers when done. :thumbsup:

/ A few finish mower questions #6  
Oops... missed your question about the deck moving properly with casters.... I think so. You could make the argument it would put less "stress" on the quick connect plate and lift arms if done correctly.

/ A few finish mower questions #7  
Make sure there's enough room without the casters coming in contact with the front tires.

I replaced the plastic rear wheels on my 48" brushcutter with semi-pneumatic tires on metal hubs with grease zerks. Having upsized my PT's tires to 26x12x12, the rear wheels of the brushcutter will now occasionally contact the front tires when the brushcutter is lifted in the air. There's about 2" of clearance when the brushcutter is down on the ground... I don't consider the contact when lifted to be an issue, but I'm also not using swivel casters which take up more room.

/ A few finish mower questions #8  
Fo my pt, I put chains on mt tires then got a big surprise when the ripped the rear mower tires off. Too little clearance between the whole setup.

/ A few finish mower questions #9  
Carl,

I did the exact same thing. I am still deciding whether I will replace the wheels or not.

Ken

/ A few finish mower questions
Kevin, I like the look of that wheel...where did you find it? TSC had some nice rubber wheels that probably would be an upgrade but they were expensive at over $30 each.