90" Mower Deck modifications

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I thought I would write a long story about rebuilding the mower. I think, though, that most everyone here knows how to change out axle bearings, so I am going to forgo the experience. If you need pointers, happy to help out.

I will post a few things that I change. #1 thing to know is that the bearings on my mower are open (not sealed). This means that in its current design, the upper bearing will not get any grease and is subjected to any weather or elements. When I put my mower back together I jammed the axle housing full of grease. We will see how this all works out.

Second thing I did was my first oxy cut. I probably should have practiced first. And doing a punch cut is harder the first time around than a sever. Anyway, pix of the holes I cut. three holes to allow access to the top of the mower hub, and two small holes to allow water to drain out of the upper deck.

Third, my neighbor looked at my spindle to repair and passed. He said that the shaft was cracking the metal of the rotor housing. Failure was immanent. I agreed so I took it to the local machine shop. $100 later and they welded in a support disk. Now when speaking with the machinist, he said the crack was at the weld (cold weld) and the metal under was good, but he said as this was the main drive no reason to not beef it up.

Anyway, there it is. I have two tear apart notes. The pulley hubs are held together with a cone / compression type fitting. The cone has three bolts in it. You remove those three bolts and move them one notch over and screw them back in and that pushes the hubs apart. Also there is a lock key on all the hubs

Second, on my tractor getting the center pulley off with the housing that supports the hydraulic motor prevented my gear puller from working. Thankfully my neighbor had a flat sided gear puller (think of it as as the pulling legs are 3/16 hardened L shaped grabbers).

Attachments

• IMG_20130815_163319_373.jpg
    IMG_20130815_163319_373.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20130815_163328_092.jpg
    IMG_20130815_163328_092.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20130815_163241_504.jpg
    IMG_20130815_163241_504.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20130815_163310_960.jpg
    IMG_20130815_163310_960.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 147
   / 90" Mower Deck modifications
It looks like I got severe Parkinson's, my circles are squares, and there is enough slag on the bottom to build another mower. I guess plasma would cut better?

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #4  
If those were your first cuts every you done good, bud! :thumbsup:

Cutting a circle freehand with a torch is not an easy task. I'll ask you this.... can you draw a circle freehand any better? I can't.

A couple tips....
get a soap pencil and use a template to draw the circle first.
pre-heat the cut line for a few minutes by going over it again and again slowly with the torch before you apply the oxy.
ORrrrr..... get a bi-metal hole saw for your 1/2" drill. They work great, but don't have the smoke, fire and molten metal that we all crave... :D

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #5  
I agree with MR, they look good from here.

I can't freehand anything. For me, it is a soap pencil, and try to follow a template.

I do have a drawer of nice hole cutters. As MR said, they lack the speed, smoke, and sounds of plasma or oxytorches, and you could call bimetallic hole saw boring, but there are times in life for being boring. :laughing:

All the best,

Peter

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #6  
The trick with the hole saw on 1/4" metal is cut it slow. It is too easy to wipe the teeth by letting it spin too fast and heating it up too much.

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #7  
The trick with the hole saw on 1/4" metal is cut it slow. It is too easy to wipe the teeth by letting it spin too fast and heating it up too much.

A lube helps too.

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #8  
Carl,

Perhaps your deck has a cover on it, but

Why not use sealed bearings especially as the top bearing. You could have removed the bottom seal on the top bearing, so you could pump grease in there. Does your spindle assembly have a grease zerk?

Any water that gets to your bearing will also run down into the hub. You might need some holes there also.

A trick in cutting holes is to drill a small hole in the center of the circle, and bend a metal wire into an L shape and the radius of the circle and bend a circle so the torch head fits in and allow cutting a good circle. I do this with my plasma cutter also.

A magnet and wire will work also.

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #9  
A trick in cutting holes is to drill a small hole in the center of the circle, and bend a metal wire into an L shape and the radius of the circle and bend a circle so the torch head fits in and allow cutting a good circle. I do this with my plasma cutter also.

A magnet and wire will work also.
That's a neat trick.

/ 90" Mower Deck modifications #10  
That's a neat trick.
It called "ask an old dude with a ton of life exerience that's willing to teach". :D

I've met a lot of guys with tons of experience that aren't willing to help but quick to criticize. J_J's not one of those. Thanks, J_J! :thumbsup: