It's been a while...

/ It's been a while... #1  

pequeajim

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
How have all of you guys been? It's been a while since I have posted, although I stop in to surf the comments every now and then.

I have a question for you all. I tried to turn on my PTO the other day with the mower deck attached and nothing, not even a click of the solenoid?

The hydraulics work fine, drive, bucket, etc, just not the PTO. Then I noticed that my lights do not work, so I started looking for a fuse and could not find them.

Any thoughts?

Jim

/ It's been a while... #2  
Welcome back!

Check for obvious broken/missing wires, check for power to the respective devices? To pto switch, then when on, to solenoid. Apply power directly to solenoid to see if it actuates.

/ It's been a while... #3  
How have all of you guys been? It's been a while since I have posted, although I stop in to surf the comments every now and then.

I have a question for you all. I tried to turn on my PTO the other day with the mower deck attached and nothing, not even a click of the solenoid?

The hydraulics work fine, drive, bucket, etc, just not the PTO. Then I noticed that my lights do not work, so I started looking for a fuse and could not find them.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Hi JIM,

I have one of these units which is a wire chaser. You clip the transmitter to the wire you want to find.

Gardner Bender Multi-Purpose Wire Tracer (1/Clam, 5Clams/Master)-GET-4220K at The Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...H=REC-_-product-5-_-203345762-_-202867889-_-N

It transmit a signal, and you follow the wire bundle to the break or open fuse/CB.

This is done with no voltage on the system.

On my Ford F-150, I traced the signal from the C/B all the way back to the fuel pump to make sure the wire was good.

You can probably use it elsewhere.

/ It's been a while...
Thanks guys. I will try all of the above tomorrow when I have some light to work by. Side note, when taking the covers off around the dash, and front of the dash to try to find and fuses in the PTO line, after putting things back together, now the tractor will not turn over at all!

/ It's been a while... #5  
There is a fuse under the front steering column cover and another one at the starter. I don't remember which one does what. I had the fuse holder fail on the one at the Starter. They use insulation displacement connectors inside the fuse holder. These are junk I believe. I recently had the PTO switch fail too, but that is probably not your problem.

/ It's been a while... #6  
Did you try and jump start it?

Redo all the battery connections including engine ground.

/ It's been a while... #7  
I think you are going to find a loose wire somewhere.. Pt does not seem to use too many fuses. I think your 425 has a cover on top of the steering colum. Remove it and if yours is like mine you will find a connection bus.

/ It's been a while... #8  
Hi Jim, Sorry I didn't get back to your PM. As others have mentioned, check inside the steering column. Also, check all connections to and from the key switch. Since it turned over before you opened the covers, and now it won't, that seems like the logical place to concentrate. Look for a loose or broken wire/connection under there. I also think the engine won't crank over if the PTO switch is engaged. So, if your PTO switch has been bumped or if it has an internal short, the tractor won't start. I'd first check the PTO switch to make sure its not engaged and try to start the tractor. If it won't crank, remove a wire from the PTO switch and then try cranking the tractor again. If the tractor cranks, the PTO switch is probably bad. Replace it. If the tractor still does not crank, move on to the PTO solenoid. It could be stuck ON and preventing the tractor from starting, too. Hope that helps.