Strongly considering getting a PT425

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425 #1  

Blade Runners

Tractor
Want a Power-Trac 425
Has anyone used the aerator and can the 425 be used for light grading or leveling a lawn? Any power or traction issues?

Last edited:
   / Strongly considering getting a PT425 #2  
Wel............. Go get one. Truly an amazing machine. Jack of all trades...

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425 #3  
Look in the used section of the PT web site. You might can save some money.

Used Power Tracs

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425 #4  
Has anyone used the aerator and can the 425 be used for light grading or leveling a lawn? Any power or traction issues?
I don't have the PT version (the $1600 for the attachment plus shipping was $660 for shipping was a big turn-off), but do have a 3 pt land pride aerator that I put a quick attach plate on, and it works great. The PT version looks like it would work just as well.

This was much cheaper ($500 IIRC):

Aerator.jpg

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425
I don't have the PT version (the $1600 for the attachment plus shipping was $660 for shipping was a big turn-off), but do have a 3 pt land pride aerator that I put a quick attach plate on, and it works great. The PT version looks like it would work just as well.

This was much cheaper ($500 IIRC):

View attachment 341412

That looks like a pretty heavy unit and a good idea to attach the QA plate to it. Are you able to apply down pressure with the PT for deeper plugs if need be?

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425 #6  
Sure you can add down weight, but you should be careful how deep you want the spikes to go.

Don't go beyond the eject plug slot.

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425 #7  
you can absolutely do light grading, lawn restoration and driveway/dirt road repairs etc. If it's your business, just be sure that the maneuverability matches your needs if you're doing smaller residential or commercial locations. This machine can easily be too large for 'city' sized yards. Even after you smash through the gate.

I wouldn't bother with the aerator from PT. Nothing against the implement, they're well made. But Craigslist is full of them made for various tractors and you can find a size/form you're happy w/ and customize a bit...$ave some. The power rake made by PT is a steal for landscapers.

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425
Good info. I have the Ryan Lawnaire 4 tow behind and I am sure it wouldn't be hard to add a QA plate to it. One thing about the PT aerator that I don't like is all of the tines lined up in a row. Most purpose built aerators have them staggered for bettr penetration. Maybe it work fine but it just seems it could be even better with just a slight design change.

The power rake is a good deal. I wonder how the teeth hold up though. Most have the carbide teeth and wear very well.

As far as size, our smallest properties are about 8k and we put 52" ZTRs on them that weigh 1200 lbs. I think we could probably fit the 425 on them for other jobs. Our 52s will fit through most of our gates too so I think the 425 would also.

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425 #9  
My PT425 fits through a 48" gate. Its only 42" wide. However, the implements that are 48" wide or wider, do not fit through the 48" gate. UNLESS.... I put on the pallet forks, turn the wide implements 90 degrees, pick them up and drive them through the gate. That works just fine. :thumbsup:

/ Strongly considering getting a PT425 #10  
...One thing about the PT aerator that I don't like is all of the tines lined up in a row. Most purpose built aerators have them staggered for bettr penetration. Maybe it work fine but it just seems it could be even better with just a slight design change......

I'm fairly certain they are only lined up for display purposes and each "wheel" of pluggers rotates independently on the shaft. If they didn't, the unit could not turn without digging trenches in the lawn. There's a youtuube video on the Power Trac channel that shows one working on a larger unit and they definitely turn independently.