Search engine

/ Search engine #21  
On a MAC, I would suggest you at least delete the Preferences (a little file in the system folder that holds the code to the settings in the program). I don't know enough about windows but if it has it...

The different choice would be to completely uninstall your browser, then re-install. You would loose your bookmarks but it might be the price to pay.

This assumes no viruses.

Nah, you just export your bookmarks to an infected thumb drive before wiping.... :laughing:

/ Search engine
Yes, hopefully that dump everything Yahoo took care of it.

On the restore note:
Normally, when you do a restore, it goes back to the date you choose. It should not wipe the previous restore points. It should also let you go forward, I believe.
Some malware infects the restore points. Once in there, the restore points are useless, as it just keeps restoring the infected system.
That's why everyone needs to be vigilant about anti-virus and anti-malware updates.

I found out that if you do a disk clean, it wipes out the old restore points.

I installed CCleaner today. Analyzed everything and cleaned. Will wait and see what happens.

/ Search engine #24  
I found out that if you do a disk clean, it wipes out the old restore points.

I installed CCleaner today. Analyzed everything and cleaned. Will wait and see what happens.
Did you run the registry portion of CCleaner as well? That tends to find lots of stray dogs and gets rid of them, too. ;)

/ Search engine #25  
Here's an example of my pc's protection via AVG from everything thrown at it:
YOUR AVG REPORT CARD
(NOTE: this information is displayed on your PC monitor only and is not visible to anyone else)
AVG PROTECTION PROVIDED ON THIS PC LAST 30 DAYS SINCE INSTALLATION
AntiSpyware (protection of your personal information)
Spyware found and removed 0 2
AntiVirus (protection against infection of your files)
Files scanned 8503590 155698523
Infected files found and healed 0 0
E-mail Protection (protection against infected incoming or outgoing e-mail)
E-mails scanned 18564 18564
Infected e-mails blocked 0 0
AVG PROTECTION PROVIDED WORLDWIDE
Number of threats AVG identifies and blocks every month 3 billion
Number of people protected by AVG (active users) over 100 million
Number of unique viruses and spyware protected against 432326

/ Search engine #26  
All I see is two bits of spy-ware thrown at it. So that's not really a test of much. I see a lot of nothing found so nothing done. Not knocking AVG. I recommend it to all my friends and family. Just saying those numbers aren't showing it was preventing anything.

/ Search engine #27  
I have had my-yahoo as my home page worked fine till the last two weeks come to find out they are redesigning the whole thing.they sent me a email and said it would be complete in a couple of weeks.first it was the email over haul now this so it may be messing with you.

/ Search engine #28  
All I see is two bits of spy-ware thrown at it. So that's not really a test of much. I see a lot of nothing found so nothing done. Not knocking AVG. I recommend it to all my friends and family. Just saying those numbers aren't showing it was preventing anything.

Take a look at the larger numbers of files scanned in last 30 days and total files scanned since inception. To me that is a much better indicator of the protection level it has afforded me on my Dell Studio 17 laptop, since 2010.
I'm on the net all the time, and click links, download files, watch Youtube vids, etc. This is just what has worked for me for at least the last 10 years on all of my pc's and 6 different laptops.

/ Search engine #29  
Out of all the files it scanned, it found nothing. That doesn't mean nothing was there. It could even mean that hundreds of thousands got by it. I'd be impressed if it said it found things and cured them, but those number mean it never found anything, not that it prevented anything.

/ Search engine #30  
Out of all the files it scanned, it found nothing. That doesn't mean nothing was there. It could even mean that hundreds of thousands got by it. I'd be impressed if it said it found things and cured them, but those number mean it never found anything, not that it prevented anything.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Our ISP has a near bulletproof spam filtration system, and has for years. I haven't had one pc or laptop run off my home network that has had any problems related to spam, viruses, spyware, etc. Sometimes if nothing shows up nothing got through. YMMV.:confused3: