The downside of a tilting seat

/ The downside of a tilting seat #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I am doing my spring burns. For me this is a bigger year as a buddy with a dozer cleared 5 acres of brush from under trees and piled them high. So these burns last days. You stoke during the day, let it die down at night. I do a 9PM check before settiling in to some TV.

So on the tractor, out in the pitch black (save for my fantastic LED lights) and I am pushing the coals around. Suddenly I am jerked off my seat and am sitting sideways. No reason. My hydraulic seat up and fully extended itself. If it had not been for my seat belt I would have been out of the cab for sure, not so much that it was violent, but I was completley not prepared (flat land).

Getting used to the tipping (and slow responding seat) takes a lot but driving home basically standing in the cab was all together a nightmare.

/ The downside of a tilting seat #2  
Any explanation as to why the seat let go.

/ The downside of a tilting seat
Found it. It is the wiring to the seat. If you put the tractor in jus the right position, and the seat tries to level up, it pulls just a bit on the wiring harness causing a dsiconnect. Going to look into the reason for the tension but not tonight.

/ The downside of a tilting seat #4  
Found it. It is the wiring to the seat. If you put the tractor in jus the right position, and the seat tries to level up, it pulls just a bit on the wiring harness causing a disconnect. Going to look into the reason for the tension but not tonight.
Good find.

You know, you have an opportunity to wire in a switch to your seat leveling system and have an ejector seat! That would be so cool. Just like in Gold Finger. Uh, your ROPS might be a problem though.

/ The downside of a tilting seat #5  
If the seat is hyd operated, why not install a hyd shutoff valve and lock it in place. when necessary.

/ The downside of a tilting seat
I was hoping one of these days to meet someone who knows how to make a circuit that would balance the seat, not with mercury switches but with an electronic circuit.

The seat has a shut off switch, but mine was bypassed by the previous owner.

/ The downside of a tilting seat #7  
Ever since I rebuilt my steering cylinders, the seat has worked really well. Prior to that, just like with my loader cylinders, the seat cylinder would occasionally lose pressure and just dump to the side.

Ken

/ The downside of a tilting seat #8  
I think JJ was referring to putting a valve into the circuit so you could just lock it into position.

Ken

/ The downside of a tilting seat #9  
I was hoping one of these days to meet someone who knows how to make a circuit that would balance the seat, not with mercury switches but with an electronic circuit.

The seat has a shut off switch, but mine was bypassed by the previous owner.

How do(does) the mercury switch(switches) work?
Is it jerky if the tractor hits bumps?
Is it too sensitive?

/ The downside of a tilting seat #10  
The mercury switches are angled and are basically limit switches. When tilted, they make or break contact which then control the hydraulic solenoids which control the supply of hydraulic fluid to the tilt cylinder.

IMG_4272.jpg
IMG_4274.jpg

I used to have problems with it suddenly tilting but it works pretty well now. I do not notice any jerking but then the whole tractor is also bouncing round. It is very nice to have on side slopes.

Ken