Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

Default Re: Electrical Issue

I actually was standing about 6' away at the time. I had brought the tractor back into the barn because the breaker kept blowing. It was off at the time and I had the engine compartment open trying to figure out what was going wrong. I heard the acid boiling in the battery (I was quite impressed) and decided that it would be a good idea to step back. A second or two later, ...... I was wearing safety glasses but I do not remember any acid hitting them and I did not get any acid on my skin. I consider myself to have been fairly lucky that day. Boiling acid would not have been pleasant. It instantly carbonized the wood it hit leaving black stains. Sulfuric acid can start a fire when it reacts with organics due to the heat created as it oxidizes them.

Ken
    PT1850, mini hoe, grapple, stump grinder, brush hog

http://www.usadiscountgenerators.com...T1850Home.html

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Coyote, why you ever chose to live in Vermont is beyond me. You could be here, scenic Southern Washington, just a moment away from Portland, where young people go to retire. And you could come by and visit, and I could suck you in with my tale of woe.. And you could take a look, and say hey, just do this, and it would be fixed.

My perfect world....

At this point I am putting the tractor in the barn, and trying to figure out how I can get 40 days of clean underwear in less than a 50lb bag....
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

I was sitting in my car at an Osh and some guy pulls in in front of me. He turns his car off, fusses around (I am waiting for my wife) and BOOOOMMMMMM His hood jumps and steam comes rising out. I am thinking what the heck.. I get out and make sure he is out of the car... Eventually we pop the hood and his battery had completely shrappneled. Acid everywhere and battery parts on everything.

I want to say, though, I think his car started with the battery in pieces. Maybe it was still running when it happened but I remember that (then again, I remember me being thin and attractive).

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandfarms View Post
    Coyote, why you ever chose to live in Vermont is beyond me. You could be here, scenic Southern Washington, just a moment away from Portland, where young people go to retire. And you could come by and visit, and I could suck you in with my tale of woe.. And you could take a look, and say hey, just do this, and it would be fixed.

My perfect world....

At this point I am putting the tractor in the barn, and trying to figure out how I can get 40 days of clean underwear in less than a 50lb bag....
    Like Skiing, have family on east coast, etc. Answer: send RT first class ticket and driver to get me to your place and I'm there.

Burn the U-wear, get more, support our dying economy.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringHollow View Post
    I actually was standing about 6' away at the time. I had brought the tractor back into the barn because the breaker kept blowing. It was off at the time and I had the engine compartment open trying to figure out what was going wrong. I heard the acid boiling in the battery (I was quite impressed) and decided that it would be a good idea to step back. A second or two later, ...... I was wearing safety glasses but I do not remember any acid hitting them and I did not get any acid on my skin. I consider myself to have been fairly lucky that day. Boiling acid would not have been pleasant. It instantly carbonized the wood it hit leaving black stains. Sulfuric acid can start a fire when it reacts with organics due to the heat created as it oxidizes them.

Ken
    IMHO, you're way more than lucky that you were not standing in the line of fire. Acid burns are horrible, and if one is burned in the eyes I can't even imagine the pain and consequences.
    BTW, I checked your hotlink and took a look at the mods you did to your PT. Nice work.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Turn them inside out and you'll only need 20!
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

So the wife went to Harbor Freight last hight after dropping me off at the airport and picked up one of those free red voltmeters. This way I can attach it to the tractor and if somehting happens to it not feel the guilt I would If I use my good meter.

Oh side story. I am in Tel Aviv for a few days. Last night we went out for dinner at a place called "The Station". The place looked just like San Antonio. So much for the excitement of getting away to a new country. Tomorrow we go to Old Jeruselam which even though I am an atheist should be very cool

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

So the wife went to Harbor Freight last hight after dropping me off at the airport and picked up one of those free red voltmeters. This way I can attach it to the tractor and if somehting happens to it not feel the guilt I would If I use my good meter.

Oh side story. I am in Tel Aviv for a few days. Last night we went out for dinner at a place called "The Station". The place looked just like San Antonio. So much for the excitement of getting away to a new country. Tomorrow we go to Old Jeruselam which even though I am an atheist should be very cool
    For sure, regardless of your spiritual persuasion, going to Old Jeruselam would be pretty interesting.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Yeah, history is history. Way cool. You have to understand everyone's point of view. Enjoy!
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Interesting day. Went up to Old Jeruselam. We are getting some tour of the underground archeology going on with City of David next week so no Western Wall. We were just outside scouting. Massive massive tourist trap. Smaller than I thought it would be but the history is amazing. The old cemetary was quite impressive. Then went up north and was on a local farm. Techniques are about the same as the US. Was not expecting as many tractors on the road in Jeruselam as I saw.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast