Wheel Motor/Pump Wear

/ Wheel Motor/Pump Wear #1  

Poorman1234

Tractor
Power-Trac 422
Guys: I need your experience. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 2000 PT-422 with over 2500 hours. The drive hydraulics are "Slipping" in both forward and reverse. Which is more likely; wheel motors are worn and by-passing or drive pump is loosing efficiency?

My thought is "wheel motors are going bad from comments in previous threads. Also, I need a bit of reverse pedal to drive slowly down steep hills.

I know I need re-builds, but which parts first?

Last edited:
   / Wheel Motor/Pump Wear #2  
It's a toss-up, IMO. Rebuilding all 4 wheel motors (do them all, or do none, IMO), would cost about the same as having Tazewell rebuild the tram pump. I got an estimate from Terry to rebuild my tram pump several years ago, and the estimate then was $800 or so, plus shipping both ways. I upgraded to larger wheel motors instead...

You may want to consider upgrading your wheel motors, also, as that vintage of 422 likely has the White RS "general-purpose" motors, and not specifically designed wheel motors that have better bearings and seals to handle the weight and loads.

/ Wheel Motor/Pump Wear
Thanks for the reply...I may go with new and upgraded wheel motors first. Anybody have the part number for the motors used on the new PT-425? I would look at aftermarket sourcing as well as factory.

Amazing what Google can find. I once bought a replacement steering wheel for the PT at Surplus.com for $13...the exact one used by the factory.

/ Wheel Motor/Pump Wear #4  
The last I knew, the PT-425 was using White CE 14.3ci wheel motors. Note that these likely will not fit inside the mounting boxes on your machine. The newer-style 425s use wheel motor boxes that bolt on, rather than ones that are welded on to the tub. You'd likely need to modify your wheelmotor boxes, or cut them off and buy the new style from Tazewell.

I cut mine off and bought 1430 wheelmotor boxes, which will mount an even larger wheel motor...