Tires 24x12x12

/ Tires 24x12x12 #2  
The 1850's use that tire but mine are 4-ply with no load rating. It is a good price but I do not know if we can get away with 2-ply. What do you think?

Ken

/ Tires 24x12x12 #3  
Thanks for the heads up, JJ. I went ahead and got a set and will use the tires when i run duals where the load ratings, puncture resistance etc are not so important. I will modify the wheels to use those as my winter wheels.

Ken

/ Tires 24x12x12 #4  
Sounds like a a plan, but keep the following in mind. The weight rating of the tire shown, when ran as a single tire on each corner, is more appropriate to the 425 than the 1850. Here is why!

Think of it this way; when you lift a full bucket of material (or even one a little over full) the full weight of the contents of the bucket and most (or all) of the weight of the tractor rests on the front wheels. In the case of a 425, with 800 lbs. in the bucket, that is greater than 2400 lbs. with a rider is on board. A 1700 pound tire limit would provide a working rating of 3400 lbs, plenty of margin to cover bounce, roll of the tractor (putting more weight on one side vs. the other, etc.

The back tires carry only the tractors own weight and only about half at that. This makes the back a non-factor in figuring the tire ratings.

3400 lbs. would be far too light for a 3600 lb. tractor lifting 1200 lbs. This places over 2400 lbs on each of the 1700 lbs tires. Running duals might be fine provided both tires share the load when loaded. This means both tires of a dual set MUST carry the load because letting one tire (even when driving over a rock) carry the load by itself puts it 50% over its rated capacity.

Since you already have them, what are your thoughts about running these on the rear and 4-ply tires up front?

Back to the smaller machines...These tires do pose a serious delema for me as a PT-422 or PT425 owner. They are the right weigh rating for my machine, but just a bit larger diameter than my current 22" tires and the 20 incers found on the current 422. They would add a bit more ground clearance but require a bit more torque to turn. They have me interested as I need both new tires and new or rebuilt wheel motors. If changed the two out together, I could add displacement to the motors gaining torque and loosing speed, in proportion to the increased tire size. I gain 1" ground clearence but could maintain speed and tractive effort as designed. Hmmm? What to do?

/ Tires 24x12x12 #5  
I lift more than 1200 lbs (measured via PT pucker method) routinely when running the 4 ply tires as singles so I have no worries what so ever adding 2 ply duals to that. The 4 ply Carlisle tires do not state an actual working load like the 2 ply do. I would be very concerned running the 2 ply as singles for the reasons you state but that was not what I was proposing. The winter wheels would be singles with my old 4 ply tires on them, the 2 ply tires were to be used on existing rims as duals. This eliminates the concerns of load ratings, puncture resistance etc. of the 2 ply.

Edited : My first post was not very clear as to what I meant by winter wheels. I was going to modify the new rims so they would work on my tractor and then put a set of my 4 ply tires on them with chains permanently installed.

Ken

/ Tires 24x12x12 #6  
Ken:

I am sorry I was not clear as well. Dual tires work well to share load on flat surfaces where both tires see an equal part of the load and on soft surfaces where the surface under the tire gives until both tires see similar load.

My concern for lighter capacity tires set up as duals was on hard, rough surfaces where load passes from tire to tire in the pair as each tire passes over the high spots. This may not be your usual situationbut but can occur such as when driving over rip-rap stone. Please imagine passing over a small curb at an off angle. The outside tire will carry the pair's entire load for some time. You will have to be cognisant of this when loaded....thats all.

Rick

/ Tires 24x12x12 #7  
Hi Rick,

Yes but I am not worried about that or punctures because worst case, the 2 ply tire fails and the load is now held by the 4 ply tire which is fine on its own. Since the 2 ply are on the outside, I am having a hard time coming up with a realistic scenario of where that failure would cause a catastrophic problem. If they were on the inside, I could imagine a rare scenario where the outer wheel is hanging over a ravine, the inner 2 ply fails and the tractor tips towards the ravine and possibly slides down.

Ken

/ Tires 24x12x12 #8  
Well, I am confused. I got the tires/rims and they looked nice so I decided to order more. The description says 4 ply. Perhaps I misread it earlier or they changed it. PT tire is rated for 1780 lbs, these are rated for 1710 pounds.

Thanks again, JJ !!!

Ken