Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series???

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
I've seen isolated discussions on here, but am having real challenges trying to find them with the Search function.

What have people been using to replace the cheap sawtooth tread caster wheels that PT used to put on their attachments? (I understand that they may have changed to better ones.)

I have three sets of those (brush cutter, finish mower, and snow blade) and get tired of swapping out casters between them in order to have a usable pair...

I've tried a pair of the "run-flat" wheels/tires from Tractor Supply, and have managed to push the tires off the wheels on both of them. They may be a bit more durable than what PT provided, but not much more... I haven't figured out an easy way to remount the tires on the wheels.

I've tried putting tubes in a set, but they don't hold up on my brushcutter, due to thorns, etc.

Would like to have an affordable, durable, greasible, permanent solution...

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #2  
That's been my biggest issue now, pushing tires off the rim. Im sure having irregular bumpy ground, mowing into really heavy brush doesn't help. I've thought something like a heavy gauge disc along each side, that would allow a couple inches of the tire to be revealed would help, but haven't gotten around to finding or making something like that.

A little ways north of here is a place called Marathon Industries, Inc., they make 'flat free' tire. My wife was going up to Seattle and stopped by to see if they would remount the ones i'd bought through internet. They were surprised that i'd been able to pop them off the hub. They went ahead and remounted the ones she brought and some seconds for really cheap price that they sold to her as well. This was during their lunch our and pretty cool about it. She said they had a machine that expanded the tire so it could be slipped over onto the hub, on the hub they put a bunch of glue, that would take a few hours harden. I think im down to three of the six i had.

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series???
That's been my biggest issue now, pushing tires off the rim. Im sure having irregular bumpy ground, mowing into really heavy brush doesn't help. I've thought something like a heavy gauge disc along each side, that would allow a couple inches of the tire to be revealed would help, but haven't gotten around to finding or making something like that.

A little ways north of here is a place called Marathon Industries, Inc., they make 'flat free' tire. My wife was going up to Seattle and stopped by to see if they would remount the ones i'd bought through internet. They were surprised that i'd been able to pop them off the hub. They went ahead and remounted the ones she brought and some seconds for really cheap price that they sold to her as well. This was during their lunch our and pretty cool about it. She said they had a machine that expanded the tire so it could be slipped over onto the hub, on the hub they put a bunch of glue, that would take a few hours harden. I think im down to three of the six i had.

Are these the wheels/tires that you're talking about?

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If so, that's not too bad of a price -- $29.99 plus shipping.

They also have affordable tubes that are pre-filled with sealant, that might let me salvage some of the tires/wheels that I already have:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I wonder if I could get 2-piece, bolt together hubs that would let me remount the flat-free tires? For example, these bolt-together wheels with segmented tires would appear to be a good alternative for the brush-cutter:

Replacement Finishing Mower Wheel Segmented 10" x 3 25" with A 5 8" Axle Bushing | eBay

Last edited:
   / Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #4  
I had inner tubes put it most of mine. Some have been in there 3 or 4 years with no problems. I don't have thorns so that has not been a problem. Just saying that the inner tubes can work for some people. Before the tubes I was breaking the rim seal on almost very use. What a pain.

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #5  
The run flats didn't work at all for me on the 1845. The mower just pushed them off the rims immediately. I haven't used the mower in a while so I don't recall what I did to fix them (got a ZTR now). I agree with Bob...tubes are good. Plus maybe a little Gemplers Bullet Proof should do the job. Wouldn't take much.

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #6  
I started with tubeless and not surprising but couldn't keep a seal, went to tubes, flats, added slime, flats and tore off valve stems and pushed off rim. Then flat free. So far last the longest but...... I'd be temped to try that finish mower wheel if it weren't so expensive.

The link for the marathon tires looks right, but i thought they were higher load capacity.

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #7  
Many years ago I replaced the pneumatic wheels on the front casters of my brush hog with solid tires from a hand truck. The axle tubes were smaller diameter than the stock PT axle tubes, but that was solve with a bushing. I swap them from the brush hog to the snow plow in winter and back in spring. Never a problem. I'll try to get some info on them for you.

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #8  
   / Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series??? #9  
Thanks for the link for carefree. They look like they have higher load rating and more square profile. I'll see if i can get some identification on the tire i have, to verify model.

Ok, . check this out, instructions on how to remount the tires!! Ima gonna get this, i have a press so this should work great! Im so excited.:laughing:

On a humorous note, NOTE: Carefree Tire's are not recommended to be used in the following applications: brush cutting mowers or any type of P.T.O. driven equipment such as finishing mowers and those pulled by tractors.:)

/ Replacement DURABLE attachment caster wheels for T-8 series???
Thanks, guys. The brushcutter seems to be the most demanding use, though I have pushed tires off both the finish mower and the snow/dirt blade. I'm thinking of getting a pair of the segmented flat-free tires/wheels for the brushcutter, and trying to use tubes/sealant for the other two implements. That may be the most cost-effective solution...