Deutz Timing Belt

/ Deutz Timing Belt #11  
OK, I went and bought the universal gauge so you can borrow it and the pins. They sell for $106 on Amazon instead of that site for $189. I managed to find a new one for $80 on Ebay.

Ken

/ Deutz Timing Belt #14  
I just did the timing belt replacement this weekend.
The Foley video is pretty good, but doesn稚 show you where the crankshaft or camshaft locking pins go. (The access ports)
Tip#1 you are looking for hex head, not Allen head, caps to undo.
Tip#2 on a 2011 engine, the camshaft locking pin access port is just to the left of the oil filter, just above the ports for the auxiliary oil heater. Again, you are looking for a hex head cap to remove.
Tip #3 you will need two replacement copper washers to seal the ports afterwards.
Tip#4 if you need to adjust the timing, the Deutz washer tool is very helpful.
Tip#5 the crankshaft turns two revolutions to the camshaft one, which means that you want to find the camshaft indexhole first. Then, slowly adjust the crankshaft to find the crankshaft index point. Otherwise, you will be hunting for a hole in the camshaft that is 180 degrees away.

For some reason, the timing pins that I bought were oversized, or my camshaft alignment channel was underbored. Either way, it was an interference fit. Does anyone have micrometer readings on the OD of the narrow part of the timing tool?

Adjusting the valve lash made a huge difference in performance for me; no smoke, reduced diesel smell, and noticeably faster idle. YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz Timing Belt #15  
Do you have a link for the Deutz washer tool you are referring to?

Checking the valves has been on my list to do for a very long time. I am sure mine need to be done.

Ken

/ Deutz Timing Belt #16  
Me neither. I actually know very little about the Deutz. I had always heard it was a tank of an engine, but now it looks more like a Porsche of an engine.
I think the "tank of an engine" reputation, came from the older air cooled models. They don't have timing belts in them...

You do have to adjust the valves though, but it's very easy, at least on the "06" series of tractor engines...

SR

/ Deutz Timing Belt #17  
The part number is in the manual that Woodlandfarms posted, P/N 030 1129, "Wrench for Camshaft Gear Clamping Washer"
There is a photo of it in the kit pictured here; Deutz Timing Belt and Deutz Hydraulic Belt Installation Kits

Unfortunately, I can't find a Deutz site that has the tool by that name or part number, so it may have been superseded. Nevertheless, you need it to keep from moving the camshaft as you tighten the timing gear onto the shaft. Perhaps if you had a very thin wrench you could do the same thing.

Sorry not to be of more help.

The valves are quick and easy, if you have the torx sockets to get the cover off, and the feeler gauges (plus the metric allen wrench and open end wrench. It made my engine much peppier, and smoother. I wish that I had done it a long time ago.

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz Timing Belt
Sawyer, not sure we are talking the same engine that is on your tractor. We have the BL1011 or 2011 Series for our machines.

As noted, I have the pins and would gladdly send them to you but I am not at home, I am down in LA (which is home as well but too long of a story). If my mechanic friend goes up to the house I will have him mic them out earlier.

BTW, is the belt done?

/ Deutz Timing Belt
OHHH I know the wrench you are talking... I did mine with just conventional wrenches but that tool sure would have been sweet. I thought it was a wrench for the crankshaft and outside of just trying to turn it it is a big no no to take off.

Also, did you have to undo your hood to give yourself more workspace or did it go on just fine.

/ Deutz Timing Belt
One quick question....

Did the pin go in OK on the crankshaft (right lower) side?

I found putting the pin in on the crankshaft side required it to go in precisely and I had to spray mine with a bit of cleaner into the hole as it looked like some sludge had found its way into the camshift pin hole.