Deutz Timing Belt

/ Deutz Timing Belt #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I am going to start this as a new thread for search purposes. Just saw a note that timing belts on Deutz engines need a change out at every 5 years or 3K hours. I have another company telling me 1K hours or 5 years.

The big deal on the Deutz is that it is like a Honda and has an interference engine. Ka Ching if your belt goes.

I think I have had the PT for 6 years or so. Anyone change their belt out?

/ Deutz Timing Belt #2  
Sadly, my trend has been for a bigger belt every few years. Hoping to reverse that. Hope springs eternal.

Sorry. No, I have not but would be interested in what you find out.

Ken

/ Deutz Timing Belt #3  
I am going to start this as a new thread for search purposes. Just saw a note that timing belts on Deutz engines need a change out at every 5 years or 3K hours. I have another company telling me 1K hours or 5 years. The big deal on the Deutz is that it is like a Honda and has an interference engine. Ka Ching if your belt goes. I think I have had the PT for 6 years or so. Anyone change their belt out?

UM! I may be overdue. 11 years and 2000 hrs.

/ Deutz Timing Belt #4  
I'm thinking it is really cheap insurance. I had no idea it was a rubber timing belt and I know that the engine has gotten warm at least once... :-0
Foley has a kit of a belt, a new tension pulley, a belt tension gauge, and timing alignment pins to hold the timing.

I would observe that it would be prudent to mark the timing exactly before the tensioning, because if it is too tight/loose, the timing may be off after the penultimate step in the procedure (720 degree rotation), and one would want to know how to get the engine retimed without going through aligning the camshaft...

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz Timing Belt
Me neither. I actually know very little about the Deutz. I had always heard it was a tank of an engine, but now it looks more like a Porsche of an engine.

Look at that video on how to change the belt.

Peter, if you do go for the kit let me know. Maybe there is a way to temper the costs as I doubt you are going to be doing this as a career move. Meaning I can throw in on the guage and the engine locks.

/ Deutz Timing Belt #6  
I have the two timing pins. The timing belt can be found for around $100.

Ken

/ Deutz Timing Belt #7  
By the way, those aftermarket timing pins are a steal compared to Deutz. I saw one place selling the Deutz ones I have for $207 which is really insane. They said Qty 1. I hope that meant one package of two but I suspect not.

Ken

/ Deutz Timing Belt #8  
   / Deutz Timing Belt
So Ken, have you replaced your belt? The thing I see as being key to all of this is the tension reader as well. You got that?

/ Deutz Timing Belt #10  
No, I have not. I bought these pins because I knew sooner or later, I would be tearing it apart. I do not have the tension gauge. It looks like there are a few different ones out there so it would be important to know what settings (before and after rotating 720°) you are supposed to use for that gauge.

Ken