Wheel Adapters for PT1850

/ Wheel Adapters for PT1850 #1  

SpringHollow

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1850, NH 2120
JJ let us know of a wonderful deal on some 24 x 12 - 12 tires and rims. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/311465-tires-24x12x12.html

I bought some and really liked the 4-ply Turf Tires. I was just buying them for the tires but one of the items on my wish list was to modify some rims to increase the offset of the tires so I could more easily fit chains. I decided I would take advantage of the fact that these came with rims. It takes me forever to mount and dismount tractor tires so I decided not to make steel plates and weld them to the rims. Since the wheels had square holes in them for mounting wheel weights, I decided to take advantage of them to design a bolt-on wheel adapter.

I am happy with how it turned out. The clearance is much more than what I would do if I were welding on a plate but he hoses are still protected within the wheel inset. So far, the modification is working well. Below are pictures showing the adapter plate bolted to the wheel and then the wheel installed on the tractor:

5-Plate Installed_6305.jpg 6-Installed_6317.jpg 7-Clearance_6310.jpg

Here is a link to more pictures and a CAD drawing:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/311465-tires-24x12x12.html

Ken

/ Wheel Adapters for PT1850 #3  
That's the same tread pattern that came stock on my 2001 PT425. One of them got destroyed (by me) and I put on a different more agressive tread pattern on that tire. Guess what? The turfs are still 90% and the one I changed is down to 30%. They are good, rugged tires.

/ Wheel Adapters for PT1850
So far, I am pleased with how smooth it drives. I have not taken it into the woods yet - perhaps this evening. That will be the real test.

Ken

/ Wheel Adapters for PT1850 #5  
They do crab walk on damp or snowy side slopes. But they provide good traction on flat asphalt and concrete when snow plowing. Also, they are extremely gentle on the lawn.

Here are pictures with chains on:

Wheel with Chains.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

The setup is working nicely so far.

Ken

/ Wheel Adapters for PT1850 #7  
Geez I thought that was a wooden mock-up or something!!! :laughing: You been out in da dirt?

Hey, it gets washed once every year - kill two birds with one stone and use that opportunity for my annual shower as well!!!

Ken

/ Wheel Adapters for PT1850 #10  
I do remember the deal on tires but did not remember this thread on the adapters. Great idea.