Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things #1  

MikeOConnor

Silver Member
Tractor
Two Power-Trac 1850s (preferred for mowing and grapple-bucket clearing type work on really steep hills). Kubota M680 for snowblowing, grading, bucket.
Hi all,

Remember my "1850 hydraulic pressure pulsates" puzzler a while back? Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/313875-1850-hydraulic-pressure-pulsates-any.html

The semi-OK cure was the replacement of the brake-tender and charging valves, but things still weren't quite right. The pulsating was fixed, but the draft control that holds up the mower deck, and the seat-tilting piston, were operating at really low pressure after that. I limped along for a while but decided to start working on getting that fixed too.

The culprit of (I think) all of these problems has finally been revealed. An "old version" of the draft-control valve, which according to Terry, caused them all kinds of headaches. Replacing mine with a new one has:

- fixed the draft-control -- it's now working better than it has in years

- fixed the tilt seat -- it's now working better than it has in years

- cured a miner, but persistent, engine-overheating problem that's been with me for years

I think this rascal may have also been:

- the cause of repeated replacements of blown-seal charging-valves over the years

- the actual root cause of the "pulsating" problem

So here's a picture of my replacement one -- you can tell if you have a new one by looking at this picture. If the hex head sticks up 3/4ths of an inch like the one in this picture does, you have a new-version valve. If it only sticks up about 1/4th of an inch (about as high as where the arrow is pointing) you have an old-style one and, if you have any of those weird pressure-related problems that I listed, you might want to get a new one.

It's like driving a new tractor!

Draft-control-valve.JPG

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things #2  
Ran outside and checked. I got the new one. although your cartridge is different than mine.

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things
Dang! I kinda was hoping you'd have the old one...

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things #4  
Dang! I kinda was hoping you'd have the old one...
Why would you think Carl still has ANY of the original equipment that came with his PT?

OK, so he still has the original diesel, but that is probably about it.

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things
<grin> Yeah, I guess I should have figured that.

But sooo many of the weird things with my 1850 went away when I put that gizmo in, I was hoping for a miracle cure for Carl too.

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things #7  
Carl, you don't park your PT over an old indian burial mound do you.

If so, they might be pissed off at anybody and anything.

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things #8  
Carl has dead bodies on his property but I do not know if any are Indian.

Ken

/ Draft-control valve replacement fixes all kinds of things #9  
I was bout to say... the sheriff said If they are tennis shoes call, moccassins don't.