Buying Advice What you should have ordered from PT

/ What you should have ordered from PT #1  

PTWannaHave

Silver Member
Tractor
1997 Cub Cadet 2185; 2015 PT-1430
Hello all,

Trying to glean from the collective wisdom... I am preparing to order a 1430 in the new year, and I have started compiling a list of 'requests' that I'd like to make from PT... They might say No or charge too much, but might say Yes with reasonable cost and make the ownership experience that much better.

So far on my list:

• replace casters of brush hog with ones from landscape rake
  • change hydraulic couplers to another brand/style (I plan to have a couple skidsteer implements)
  • not same-sex couplers on implement or machine (drawback: cannot reverse the flow/direction on the implement)
  • spare hydraulic & engine oil filters & spare wheel
  • rear bar tires
  • fill engine & hydraulics with synthetic Rotella T6 5W40
  • Deutz cold-weather pak (if such a thing exists)
  • LED lighting

Thank-you in advance for your insight,

/ What you should have ordered from PT #2  
I suggest an engine and/or hydraulic tank heater. I don't know what PT will do. The hydraulic oil change is very good especially in your location. It is difficult to change completely.

/ What you should have ordered from PT #3  
You don't want to mix and match tires front and back or side-to-side. All four the same.

You want solid tires on the brush hog, and the landscape rake, and any mowers, etc.... anything else with wheels. Pneumatic tires on any PT implement will disappoint you.

Instead of having them change the couplers, just make yourself a couple PT to Skidsterr adapter hoses. That will only cost your 4 connectors. If you change every PT implement, it will cost you two per implement plus the two on the tractor.

I ordered mine with some spare hydraulic filters from the factory. No problem.

The only things that have same-sex couplers on mine are the quick attach AUX PTO, which runs the power angle snow plow ram. No motorized implements run off the AUX PTO that I know of.
Before you run any implements reverse-flow, you need to find out if they have reverse-flow motors.

I'd think you'd want to break the engine in on dyno oil, then switch to synthetic, but that may just be an old-school myth.

As for the hydraulic fluid, that would be nice if they'd do it for you, but how would you really know?

I'm surprised they haven't switched to LED lighting. Its an easy thing for you to do yourself, but it would be nicer if it came from the factory that way.

/ What you should have ordered from PT #4  
Perhaps you guys don't remember this guy.

He was on the forum about a year or so back.

He talked all about his landscaping business and running skid steers on industrial sites etc.

He talked about going to Tazewell and getting all this equipment and got down to the day and cancelled everything.

He posted a lot of videos about him riding about everything made.

He had a lot more post than what is indicating about everything you could think of.

He must have several names he uses.

To me, it was a lot of BS just to talk shop.

I still have some of those post in my logs somewhere.

If I am wrong, then I apologise.

Last edited:
   / What you should have ordered from PT #5  
Perhaps you guys don't remember this guy.

Maybe he is just slow to make up his mind (since he has been shopping for a PT for 4 years now)?

/ What you should have ordered from PT
Just a quick clarification; I (PTWannaHave) am not the landscaping person J_J is talking about; but I have been saving my pennies (Cdn ones; need more...) and planning this purchase for at least three years... (This forum has been indispensable...!)

/ What you should have ordered from PT #7  
Just a quick clarification; I (PTWannaHave) am not the landscaping person J_J is talking about; but I have been saving my pennies (Cdn ones; need more...) and planning this purchase for at least three years... (This forum has been indispensable...!)

It's okay. Keep asking questions.

/ What you should have ordered from PT #8  
I had them weld chain hooks onto the 4 corners of mine and Carl's to tie the PT down on a trailer - comes in handy.

Ken

/ What you should have ordered from PT
Great idea SpringHollow!

I thought of another one: ask that wheel hubs be positioned and extra 1/2" away from the body to allow for better clearance for tire chains...

/ What you should have ordered from PT #10  
Great idea SpringHollow!

I thought of another one: ask that wheel hubs be positioned and extra 1/2" away from the body to allow for better clearance for tire chains...

Good luck with that one. It will cost you dearly if they do it at all.