Changing plugs

/ Changing plugs #1  

outridder

I was changing plugs in the 422 since I couldn't get it to start.
I put a set in that had a few hours on them and still didn't get it to start. I took those plugs out and now find the original plugs don't want to go in easily. I can't believe I could have started to cross thread both cylinders! Could part of the problem be with the difference in the metals of the head and plugs. With snow forcast for tonight here in Maryland...looks like I'll have to use the plow with the handle on it...
Any suggestions on redoing the threads so I can run again? Thanks

/ Changing plugs #2  
I also have a 422. The plugs are hard to get started at the right angle as it is real tight for a spark plug wrench. I usually start to tighten by hand as you can change the angle slightly till you get just the right angle . I don't think you have stripped the threads , it is hard to get the plugs at just the right angle.

/ Changing plugs #3  
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to hear of your plug dilemma. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Like Ernie said... try putting them in by hand. Also... have the plugs that you are putting in been in the house? They might have expanded a little. If so, try putting them in the freezer for a half an our or so, then try to thread them in by hand.

When installing plugs, I've always run them all the way in by hand, then just tightened them with the wrench. Hope this helps. Let us know what you have found out.

/ Changing plugs #4  
You may have already tried this , but if you haven't try turning the plug backward with a little down pressure on the plug as the staarting threads pass each other you will feel the plug drop just a little stop at that point the plug should be in alignment with the hole, then start turning the plug in the right direction by hand. It should start if it doesnt repeat the steps again. Hope this helps you and all works out well.

/ Changing plugs #5  
i also had the same problem, only i used too much choke and guess what /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so i tried to take the plugs out and the socket wouldn't fit, so i tried an old one that is a thin wall and uses a a bar or a screw driver through it to turn it.the holes through the shroud are not at the proper angle and the socket will not line up.a small grinder will fix that. the tightness you feel when you tighten the plug is the socket binding on the shroud. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifdon't drop a plug when you try to start it with your fingers,i did and it's not a fun thing to fish it out /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Changing plugs
I tried some of the techiues mentioned and they are still binding after about four turns. Just seems funny that I got them in twice with no trouble and the third try they bound up.
Neighoor has a taper and if said if I know the size I could use it. Plan to get new plugs and see if I can clean out the threads. Best part is he plowed the drive for me! Surrounded by Kubota and one Deere...still able to LOL.
Thanks

/ Changing plugs
Hi, Springtime and up and running again!! I used the rethread tool to redo the threads on the heads and plugs are holding tight...thought one might end up in the neigboors yard...LOL. I used the new plugs that Jack told me about when I called him about my problem. Talked to Scott today at the factory and ordered the min-hoe and the bucket with teeth. They are building the mini-hoes now and they should be ready by next week. The adventure goes on. Ooops almost forgot to mention after putting the new plugs in the engine fired right up. It was the extreme cold that was causing my starting problem. Will be prepared for next Winter. Thanks Dan