New PT180 owner

/ New PT180 owner #1  

brownsa

Tractor
Kubota BX1500
I just picked up a lightly used PT180 - primarily for loader / fork operation. Thanks to forum members for your helpful info/insights.

I do have a couple of questions. I had tried a PT422 and liked the "traditional" loader valve - which the PT180 doesn't have. The PT180 looks like a de-contented PT422, so it seems like the valve from the PT422 should fit. Any reason why not? I can control to loader valve much better than separate spool valves. Also, I would like to use the mini hoe, and realized the reason it wasn't offered is there is no valve for the hydraulic output. Seems like it would be easy to add? I have a leftover 4 way valve from my old Kubota BX. Finally, do you know if the implements interchange with the PT422/425? In reading posts it seems like the motors are sized for the appropriate unit, but I cannot see a difference otherwise? I know the PT180 has manual implement latch vs hydraulic on the larger ones.

I purchased the PT mostly because it seems like a more versatile alternative to a mini-skid steer (with more affordable attachments). And I like articulated machines.

Thanks for your insights.

Steve

PS - I also own a Ventrac 3123 - a great mowing machine - which replaced a BX1500 Kubota. I will post some comparison info when I get a chance to put the PT thru its paces.

/ New PT180 owner #2  
Welcome to the PT world! :thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with the PT180 loader controls. Does it have a separate handle for each function as in, one for dump/curl and a 2nd for up/down? If so, you should be able to swap out a two spool valve with joystick with few problems.

As for a mini-hoe, on the PT400 series, I believe the mini-hoe cylinder is operated by the AUX PTO lever down by the operator's right knee and the PT180 does not have this AUX PTO connections, or lever.... All the AUX PTO is, is a 3rd spool on the loader valve. So if you want to add that function instead of getting a two spool valve like I mentioned above, get a three spool valve that has a joystick on two of the spools for the loader and use the 3rd spool for the mini-hoe cylinder.

You mention a 4-way valve off of a Kubota... that sounds like a two spool valve.

A couple things about the PT hydraulics... hopefully this will apply to your PT180.
First, its open center.
One of the hydraulic pumps provides pressure to the steering valve.
There is a power beyond port on the steering valve that feeds the loader valve (which is also the AUX PTO valve on the 400 series).
Then it returns to the tank.

So if you want to feed a 3rd spool off of your existing loader valve, you'll have to make sure the existing valve has a power beyond port to feed a downstream 3rd valve. If its not a power beyond port (which is high pressure), its a low pressure return port. You cannot feed a 3rd valve from a low pressure return port. Bad things will happen.

It sounds like your Kubota valve is a 2 spool valve. If you have power beyond on the 180 loader valve, you could use that to feed the Kubota valve and operate the mini-hoe cylinder, and just plug the 2nd unused spool on the Kubota valve for future use.

Does that make sense?

Something like this might work... not this particular one, but to give you and idea. Three spool loader valve with joystick...
3 SPOOL 25 GPM JOYSTICK LOADER VALVE W/GRAPPLE

Hope that gives you some things to think about. :thumbsup:

/ New PT180 owner
Welcome to the PT world! :thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with the PT180 loader controls. Does it have a separate handle for each function as in, one for dump/curl and a 2nd for up/down? If so, you should be able to swap out a two spool valve with joystick with few problems.

As for a mini-hoe, on the PT400 series, I believe the mini-hoe cylinder is operated by the AUX PTO lever down by the operator's right knee and the PT180 does not have this AUX PTO connections, or lever.... All the AUX PTO is, is a 3rd spool on the loader valve. So if you want to add that function instead of getting a two spool valve like I mentioned above, get a three spool valve that has a joystick on two of the spools for the loader and use the 3rd spool for the mini-hoe cylinder.

You mention a 4-way valve off of a Kubota... that sounds like a two spool valve.

A couple things about the PT hydraulics... hopefully this will apply to your PT180.
First, its open center.
One of the hydraulic pumps provides pressure to the steering valve.
There is a power beyond port on the steering valve that feeds the loader valve (which is also the AUX PTO valve on the 400 series).
Then it returns to the tank.

So if you want to feed a 3rd spool off of your existing loader valve, you'll have to make sure the existing valve has a power beyond port to feed a downstream 3rd valve. If its not a power beyond port (which is high pressure), its a low pressure return port. You cannot feed a 3rd valve from a low pressure return port. Bad things will happen.

It sounds like your Kubota valve is a 2 spool valve. If you have power beyond on the 180 loader valve, you could use that to feed the Kubota valve and operate the mini-hoe cylinder, and just plug the 2nd unused spool on the Kubota valve for future use.

Does that make sense?

Something like this might work... not this particular one, but to give you and idea. Three spool loader valve with joystick...
3 SPOOL 25 GPM JOYSTICK LOADER VALVE W/GRAPPLE

Hope that gives you some things to think about. :thumbsup:

The PT180 does have the front aux hydraulics, with the valve between your legs, but no spool valve. It does have the separate spool controls (they are shown on the PT website). Machine also came with a trencher too. The Kubota valve I have is definitely 2 spool, but it is large, so I may look at the one you have the link to. Does the PT4xx series have one set of couplers on the front - is the spool for that near the loader control? I cannot recall on the other one I looked at. Also, I didn't get a manual, do they show the hydraulics schematic there?

Thanks for the info.

/ New PT180 owner #4  
There are two sets of hydraulic hoses on the FEL arms of the 400 series. The smaller ones are called the AUX PTO and is operated by the lever by the knee. It is for powering things like the quick attach cylinder, the power angle snow plow cylinder, the mini-hoe, etc... The larger one is the MAIN PTO. It is for powering motors, like the mower decks, brush hog, etc... It is operated with an electric switch that controls a solenoid valve in the engine compartment. Only has OFF/ON function. No reverse. Its free spooling to allow motors to spin down.

Power Trac does not have any schematics on-line that I know of and they are kind of secretive about their stuff. Since you own a 180, perhaps you could call them for a 180 manual. My 425 manual came with a schematic.

/ New PT180 owner #5  
Steve, we have the PT 180 with a bucket, finish mower, trencher, and a modified tiller from a Case/Ingersoll Tractor. When you get the hydraulic valve answers let us know because we have the same thoughts on adding different controls or a 3rd valve to operate a grapple bucket.
Right now the dog gone thing won't start and getting parts for the Robin/Subaru around here takes 3-5 days.
Just wanted to add, we are happy with the machine overall. The compact size and power is handy, finish grading dirt or gravel is great also. We also modified the bucket to be a snow pusher that can clear 500 ft. of sidewalk like a champ.

Last edited:
   / New PT180 owner #6  
Steve, we have the PT 180 with a bucket, finish mower, trencher, and a modified tiller from a Case/Ingersoll Tractor. When you get the hydraulic valve answers let us know because we have the same thoughts on adding different controls or a 3rd valve to operate a grapple bucket. Right now the dog gone thing won't start and getting parts for the Robin/Subaru around here takes 3-5 days. Just wanted to add, we are happy with the machine overall. The compact size and power is handy, finish grading dirt or gravel is great also. We also modified the bucket to be a snow pusher that can clear 500 ft. of sidewalk like a champ.

Pictures?

/ New PT180 owner #7  
Right now the dog gone thing won't start and getting parts for the Robin/Subaru around here takes 3-5 days.

What went wrong with it?
What temperature has it been where you live, and does the PT180 live inside or outside?

Because of the direct engine drive of two hydraulic pumps, starting in cold weather can be an experience. The torque required to circulate cold hydraulic fluid can prevent your engine from turning over fast enough to start in cold weather.