Seriously considering PT . . .but

/ Seriously considering PT . . .but #31  
Trencher: It has been great for trenching, but also;
  • Making hillside terraces by cutting the soil in a plane
  • Trail making by cutting the earth to the correct slope & level
  • Using it to create in ground guides for excavation
  • Using it to cut paths for the PT wheels to follow for slope/level in excavation
  • As a power grinder to fracture the soil for the 4N1

I think of it as kind of a SawzAll for soil. A trencher and a PT will change your view of earth moving. A dozer would do it differently, but the PT is a powerful tool.

The post driver is a pretty amazing tool if you are building fences. For me, it paid for itself rather quickly.

All the best,

Peter

I'm hoping to get a PT-425 and I'd be thrilled if I can use it for making terraces and trails. Which trencher are you talking about for these jobs? I see a wheel trencher (T3315) and a long toothed trencher (T3221) among the T8 attachments.

/ Seriously considering PT . . .but #32  
It would be the equivalent of the T3221, the chain trencher. I set it more or less horizontal and then use the the steering controls to sweep back and forth.

I've also used the rototiller to level areas. I find that the trick to using the PT for the that is getting a level starting point, but then it works really well. I keep it curled as far up as possible, and then you can back drag with the lower lip to keep the path or terrace in good shape.

Back dragging the 4N1 also works well, especially if you want to move the dirt some distance, i.e. cutting in one area and dumping at another.

All the best,

Peter