Filter difference on 425

/ Filter difference on 425 #1  

jfischer

Silver Member
Tractor
Hustler X-One, Power Trac 425, Sold and Retired my JD318
It is about time to do my first oil change on the 425, and I picked a filter up when I was down in Tazwell when I picked the machine up.

I was looking on the net for some more to purchase, as they are usually cheaper when you buy a few at a time.

I am trying to figure out what the difference is with the 248-65801-10 which is what they sold me and is listed in the parts break down for the EH72 engine. Many places seem to point you to a 248-65801-00 which is listed for the EH64 EH65 and other engines.

I am wondering if the one number difference is because the one is for the models that screw straight to the block, where the EH72 has the remote place (for a lack of the correct name) with the sensor on it.

Just would like to get the correct filter, if there is any difference. Especially since the engine is new.

/ Filter difference on 425
Ok, since I have not gotten any answers here, where filters are most of you using on your 425? Maybe that would have been a better way of putting it.

/ Filter difference on 425 #3  
It is about time to do my first oil change on the 425, and I picked a filter up when I was down in Tazwell when I picked the machine up.

I was looking on the net for some more to purchase, as they are usually cheaper when you buy a few at a time.

I am trying to figure out what the difference is with the 248-65801-10 which is what they sold me and is listed in the parts break down for the EH72 engine. Many places seem to point you to a 248-65801-00 which is listed for the EH64 EH65 and other engines.

I am wondering if the one number difference is because the one is for the models that screw straight to the block, where the EH72 has the remote place (for a lack of the correct name) with the sensor on it.

Just would like to get the correct filter, if there is any difference. Especially since the engine is new.

Robin/Subaru EH72 Parts Diagrams for Oil Cooler/Oil Filter

Click on oil filter assembly price.

Excerpt:

This part replaces obsolete part #: and 248-65801-00.

The -10 replaces the -00

Attachments

• 72 oil filter.jpg
    72 oil filter.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
   / Filter difference on 425 #4  
Ok, since I have not gotten any answers here, where filters are most of you using on your 425? Maybe that would have been a better way of putting it.

Why genuine Kohler, of course! :D

I looked up the specs on those two numbers you supplied. One talks about PSI rating, internal bypass, etc... and the other does not. And, as J_J mentioned, it looks like the part number has changed to a newer number.

Have you tried looking at Jack's Small Engines?
Lawn Mower Parts

/ Filter difference on 425 #5  
There is a Fram wholesale business near me and I talked to him about the Robin/Subaru filters to see if Fram matched any of them. He done some searching and found one that he believes is going to work, but he cautioned me to inspect it very closely when putting it on. I don't even have 4 hours on my PT yet, so its going to be a while before I try the filter out to see if it works.

Thanks JJ, I seem to be able to find a lot of generic for the one number, but not the other, (which I guess is the newer number they are selling now)

Since it is new and still under warr. I will try to stick with the correct number on it.

M R, I think I will just go ahead and buy the correct filter (which is still a lot more then I feel a small filter like that should be) but about $6 or $7 less then what I paid for the first one when I picked the tractor up.

I will get 4 or 5, then I should be set for a year or two with it.

Josh, I am going to stick with the Subaru one. Penny here or there shouldn't hurt me.

So, just what is the hold up with putting a few hours on yours. I am right at 20 and going to change it in the next day or so.

Have you tried any of those new attachments you got yet?

There is a Fram wholesale business near me and I talked to him about the Robin/Subaru filters to see if Fram matched any of them. He done some searching and found one that he believes is going to work, but he cautioned me to inspect it very closely when putting it on. I don't even have 4 hours on my PT yet, so its going to be a while before I try the filter out to see if it works.

/ Filter difference on 425 #9  
I have a kohler on a lawn tractor and use the Napa / Wix filter. It is a very common filter type and appears on a number of other machines in my stable. What is interesting to me was that there was a small, medium and large choice for my machine. All tech specked the same, just longer (more oil capacity).

I now have 4 of the filters on the way that came on the machine now, plus the one I bought when I picked the machine up. That should last me for a year or two.

Now to get it changed, and the filter out without getting it all over everything. Wish there was more room down in the tub. I can see there is a hair of wetness from something down in there now, and I checked all and cleaned it up when I bought it, so something has to have a hair of a leak, (seems just enough to make you wonder what it is) but guess I will have to live with that, until the engine ever has to come out.