pt1430 parasitic draw

/ pt1430 parasitic draw #1  

5dphilip

Tractor
2005 Power-trac PT1430
I have a pt1430 with a deutz f2l1011 that drains the battery. it pulls 2.5amps. I've narrowed it down and eliminated it when i disconnect the wire connected to the starter battery lug going to the engine fan intake area. I have not pulled any engine covers. I do not have a manual or schematics. Any advice?

/ pt1430 parasitic draw #2  
Here is a schematic, not sure how much it applies to your machine but it should be close.

What is the engine fan in your estimation? Is it the cooling fan on the hood of the tractor, or the fan on the back of the engine? If it is the wiring running to the engine it could be a fuel solenoid still engaged (altough that seems weird).

I assume, though, you are referring to the cooling fan. It is powered by a relay, and maybe the relay is shorting, but the cooling fan would be running all the time.

My gut tells me you have a short / poorly crimped wire somewhere.

Attachments

• wiringlogicfromptdwgs.gif
    wiringlogicfromptdwgs.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 91
   / pt1430 parasitic draw
I meant the engine belt-driven fan. The wire goes into the engine in that area and disappears under engine covers. I have disconnected the fuel solenoid and nothing. I have disconnected the engine temp sensor and nothing. I believe it is something under these covers. I'll grab a picture a little later.

/ pt1430 parasitic draw
Ok i traced the wire to the b+ terminal on the generator. I've disconnect everything passed it and the draw is still present.20150426_081453.jpg

/ pt1430 parasitic draw
Looks like I'm going to try and keep it simple. I'm putting a solenoid in series on one of the battery leads hooked ignition switch so it will act as battery disconnect.

/ pt1430 parasitic draw #7  
Owning a Deutz is like owning a german car. Rock Solid until it breaks, and then the parts are more than the car itself. I think the alternators are nearly a grand.

My engine wiring has been hacked apart a lot and one of these days I intend to update it, but the loom is expensive as well.

As for your solution, take my opinion with a grain of salt but I really worry about a draw in the alternator area. To me this indicates a bigger issue and I would want to get it fixed. There have been a few electrical fires with Deutz (mine included). Generally started around the starter relay but still.

/ pt1430 parasitic draw #8  
I agree with Woodland if that is the problem. If you have a clamp-on multi-meter that reads DC Amps, verify that it really is that wire that has the current on it.

Ken

/ pt1430 parasitic draw #9  
So you are saying when you detach all the loads attached to the battery wiring, with the alternator (generator) B+ lead the only thing attached to the battery (and no down stream wiring attached to the alternator connection), the battery is feeding 2.5+ amps directly to the alternator (generator)?

That is a bad sign. I am with Carl and Ken on this, you need to figure out what is wrong with your alternator, as this is a trend that can only get (majorly) worse. Sounds like there is a short inside the alternator. Find a motor rewind shop and see if they will take a look at the alternator.

/ pt1430 parasitic draw #10  
duplicate post.

Last edited: