Buying Advice wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #1  

joseph8962

Tractor
Power-Trac
so since we have been having so many problems with this eh65, so we are looking to purchase and put in a new engine that will work with our old 22 hp engine, any suggestions? the current one we have is the suburu 22 hp eh65, my dad wants one with an electric start though. and our powertrc is a pt422.

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #2  
So why not replace with a Kohler engine.

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #3  
   / wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #5  
That may be true.

Are the Kohler engines mounted directly to the pump or through an adapter?

How are the Subaru engines mounted to the pump.

Maybe different pumps for the Subaru.

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #6  
On my 2001 model year PT425 the two PTO pumps are mounted to the back of the motor and the VVP is mounted to the front of the motor. Later, they moved the motor to the back and mounted all three pumps to the front of the Kohler motor. I don't know how they configured the Subaru's.

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #7  
If you have the skills (e.g., welding, mechanical knowledge), I'd suggest trying to shoe horn a liquid cooled engine and mount the radiator outside the tub for better cooling. The EH72FI is an upgrade for sure, and a relatively easy one at that, but it doesn't solve the PT4xx cooling issues and may even exacerbate them. There are modifications that help, but it will always be a concern for me.

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #8  
Would it be worth it to you to replace a Subaru with a Kholer, even though you would have to make changes around the pump and shaft? It sounds like your PT works pretty good with the Kholer.
Shaft sizes and pump adapters will be issues if you go from a Subaru to a Kohler.

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #9  
Well, since I don't have a Subaru, and am biased by my Kohler's dependability, I'd have to think long and hard about it.

From what I've heard, the Subaru's don't start well when its cold outside. And by cold, I mean way below freezing down to -5 or so. That's when I need the machine the most, as I have to plow the drive to get out to go to work to make money to support my family. So does my wife, so she's counting on me as well. In summer, its no big deal if the machine doesn't start. I can mow the lawn tomorrow. Not so much with snow.

My garage is unattached, un-insulated and unheated. I don't want to go out there and apply special means to get it started. Block heaters, tank heaters, space heaters, quilts, blankets, etc... its bad enough that I occasionally use starting fluid below -5 if it doesn't pop after a couple tries, as I have to open the hood and remove the air cleaner, start it, and then put everything back.

I do not know which engine is made better, will last longer, is easier to service, etc... I know I can get parts for the Kohler locally at several sources. The Subaru, not as many places, but they are getting more common.

Now to the question of the electronic fuel injection, and this isn't specific to either brand.... Supposed to start easier (does it?), and use less fuel. However, I cringe at electronics in lawn and garden (and AG) equipment. When it fails, how do you diagnose it and are the parts available, and, most importantly, how expensive are they compared to a carb?

If I had one with a Subaru, I'd probably go for another Subaru with more HP and EFI, put a Subaru exhaust system on it and modify the hood to make it fit. I'd put in plenty of heat shielding to keep the muffler heat directed away from the engine and hydraulics. My Kohler has a Kohler exhaust system and the pipe exits directly out the center of the rear of the machine. There's a Kohler heat shield between the muffler and the engine, too. In my opinion, their home-brewed exhaust systems are a problem. They're restrictive, too many bends and corners and probably hinder performance. They need to seriously re-think using the Subaru in this application.

Anyhow, its all speculation until I get my hands on one with a Subaru, so take it for what it is... my opinion, not fact. :)

/ wish to buy a new suburu robin engine to replace current one #10  
If you have the skills (e.g., welding, mechanical knowledge), I'd suggest trying to shoe horn a liquid cooled engine and mount the radiator outside the tub for better cooling.

Remember Scarg and his liquid cooled Kawasaki 29 HP conversion? He had some serious problems trying to get it all to fit in (understatement), and ended up selling it shortly after he finished. If you did that, you should probably plan on welding a short extension on the tub to get it to all fit inside.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/109459-pt-429-robin-22-hp.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/110268-pt-429-project.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/112869-2004-model-pt-422-modified.html

left%20rear%20hood%20closed%20DSC01162_zps91ybompz.jpg

As long as you are shoe-horning a liquid cooled engine in there, how about a liquid-cooled kubota diesel....

Attachments

• left rear hood closed DSC01162.JPG
    left rear hood closed DSC01162.JPG
    842.8 KB · Views: 106