PT owners with a flail mower or a brush cutter with the mower blade upgrade?

/ PT owners with a flail mower or a brush cutter with the mower blade upgrade? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Wife and I have been reviewing implements and we keep coming back to trying to get a better cut out in our meadow. at this point my brush hog isn't seeing much heavy duty action, but I am not sure if it is qualified to give grass a good haircut.

All opinions taken.

Last edited:
   / PT owners with a flail mower or a brush cutter with the mower blade upgrade? #2  
Can you define "a good haircut"?
All the best, Peter

/ PT owners with a flail mower or a brush cutter with the mower blade upgrade? #4  
One major difference between finish and rough-cut mowers is blade speed, especially blade tip speed. Commercial mowers have an even faster blade tip speed than consumer mowers -- you can even hear the difference since they sound more like a turbine....

I'm not sure you can ever get THAT good of a cut from a rough-cut mower because they spin so much slower....

/ PT owners with a flail mower or a brush cutter with the mower blade upgrade? #5  
A rough cut mower is just that.

It usually does give a rough cut.

Have you tries thinner blades with a sharp edge.

I have seen rough cut mowers with sharp blades give a creditable cut.

I have the hyd flail mower and it does a real descent job.

They do make rough cut flail blades for heave stuff like 1 in thick stuff.

Have you considered a Zero cut mower like a Dixie Chopper, or a Kubota diesel, etc.

/ PT owners with a flail mower or a brush cutter with the mower blade upgrade? #6  
One major difference between finish and rough-cut mowers is blade speed, especially blade tip speed. Commercial mowers have an even faster blade tip speed than consumer mowers -- you can even hear the difference since they sound more like a turbine....

I'm not sure you can ever get THAT good of a cut from a rough-cut mower because they spin so much slower....

Especially if you are talking about an 2 ft blade spinning at 3600 rpm, the blade tip speed is about 22,608 FPM

Compared to a rough cut mower.

3 cu in motor with 8 GPM = 616 rpm, 4 ft bld

3.14 X 4 X 12.56 X 616 = 7,736 FPM