Oil & Fuel Magnets to supplement oil filtration

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #1  

PTWannaHave

Silver Member
Tractor
1997 Cub Cadet 2185; 2015 PT-1430
So, I've been mulling over adding magnets somewhere to the PT to help trap more metal particles in the hydraulic system...

I like Ken's implementation (USA Discount Generators - Standby and Portable Gillette Generators), and may do that yet. It might be the best solution, but it is also a project...! (Ken, how often do you take them out to clean them, and how do you clean them?!)

I read thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/170815-best-place-buy-tank-magnets-3.html?highlight=magnet with interest.

On the simpler side for now, I found this link Oil Filter Magnet which makes a compelling case for magnets inside the oil filter as opposed to outside...

Food for thought (if you believe that magnets are a worthwhile aid)...

Cheers,

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #2  
This has my interest too .. Good post ..

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #3  
I clean them every couple of years. They are due for a cleaning. I just keep wiping off whatever I can until it looks reasonably clean. The installation is trivial if you do not mind removing the whole tank cover when it comes time to clean out and have the room to do so with the magnets attached. That install only requires one to drill a hole for the shaft. I think it is one of the easiest things one can do to protect their system. When I saw what I caught on them, I was amazed that we do not have much more frequent failures.

Ken

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration
You know, Ken, I think you might be right and it may not be that big of a deal to add magnets like yours to the existing PT cover plate...

You mention you bought yours 'surplus'; does that mean Surplus Centre? (They do not seem to have any at the moment.) I did find a manufacturer: LDI Industries | Tank Magnets. Didn't check pricing; still looking around here in Ontario.

I'm still interested in thoughts about the 'magnet inside the oil filter' idea as well.

Cheers,

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #5  
A word of caution on magnets in reservoirs. Do not install them where there is significant fluid flow. The flow can cause clumps of the magnetized material to break free potentially causing more damage that sevral small pieces.

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #6  
you can put magnets on/in drain plugs, and if you have canister filters, you could put them in the canister if you have clearance or room with the element.

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #7  
The post by Ponytug is what got me to attach some of the hard drive magnets to the oil filters. Not sure how much it helps but pretty sure it won't hurt.

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #8  
It isn't scientific, but everytime I cut open a used filter with magnets on the outside, I have always found a fuzz of particles.

I got started doing this after I found a synchromesh tooth stuck to the magnetic drain plug on a Saab manual transmission (which by the way run on engine oil, not gear oil). I had a few shavings come out with it, but the transmission went at least another 150,000 miles without failure. Again, anecdotal, but it has been my belief that had the tooth and shavings stayed in, and loose, the transmission would have died much sooner.

I figure it can't hurt.

All the best,

Peter

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #9  
I have rare earth strip magnets that I have attached to the sides of the filters. Kens system is brilliant, but would involve removal of the top lid and for me that would spell another place for oil to leak.

I put 4 on my big filter and 2 on my engine oil filter.

I do cut my filters open when I do the change to make sure no surprises. I find that the magnets collect microscopic amounts of metal, good enough for me I guess.

/ Magnets to supplement oil filtration #10  
agreed, as long as the magnet cannot migrate, I just don't see how it could hurt.

them rare earth magnets are STRONG

I have taken a pipe plug style drain and a drill bit and made a exact diameter partial recess and then used an end mill to make a flush bottom hole about 1/32 deep ( easy in cast iron plug ), and then epoxied in a 1/16 or 3/32 rair earth 'coin' magnet. Of course using a new plug, not an old oily one.

Those have worked well, and usually yeild fuzz or chips, never lost a magnet out of a drain plug like that.

Similarly in oil filter canisters, just situate it where it cant go down a line, or plug a line if it did move, and a good place is where a spring retainer may set so you have clearance.