oil cooler

/ oil cooler #11  
I actually do live in a fantasy land so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Come on, you only live in fantasy land half the year. :D

Although Washington is taking steps closer and closer to that every year. As Seattle goes, so goes the state...

/ oil cooler
Very good points. So what is everyones oil temp in reservoir after running the pt for a decent amount of time? I'll post mine tomorrow

/ oil cooler #13  
The temp is going to depend on what you are dong such as bush hogging up hill, etc

/ oil cooler #14  
I haven't measured mine in a long time but 170 seems to come to mind. Above 210 you are cooking oil.

/ oil cooler #15  
Come on, you only live in fantasy land half the year. :D

Although Washington is taking steps closer and closer to that every year. As Seattle goes, so goes the state...

Yup, Seattle is San Francisco. Then again, so is Portland. I guess if voting power were based on how many square feet you can occupy before you run into someone else things would be different.

/ oil cooler #16  
In my feeble broken mind I see these oil cooler being hot, and then being shut off. The oil drains back down to the tank, leaving a film on the hot metal that just bakes on, creating layer after layer of sludge.

Then again, I actually do live in a fantasy land so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't worry about a layer of sludge lining inside the oil cooler, it's highly unlikely ,oil and hydraulic fluid are stable to over 300 degrees as far as baking go...synthetics go over 400...it's unlikely that you hit 200 in the hydro oil cooler,probably 250-275 in extreme conditions in the engine oil cooler...the only components that usually fry oil are turbochargers,and automatic transmissions,and in both cases it's abuse and neglect that are the cause,shutting a hot turbo down with no cool down from a. A full load will push the oil past 500 degrees possibly more,and even in these cases it takes a while to coke the bearings to the point of causing excess wear and a problem. The torque convertor in an automatic can hit 300 degrees plus in 20 seconds of brake standing at stall speed...again that screaming fluid heads right from the torque convertor discharge to the cooler and you never see them varnish up,they just trap contaminates from the oil...and deposit them in the new transmission later on.

/ oil cooler #17  
I can only defend this notion on My Deutz. The oil cooler is mounted to the top of the engine over the valve train. It gets nice and hot when the engine is turned off.

Wouldn't argue on the oil cooler for the hydraulics, although again on my machine located above the engine, but there is at least a 2" airgap.

/ oil cooler #18  
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the oil that goes into my radiator cooler fan comes from the power steering pump after it cycled through the bank valve bank.
Not sure how your 1430 is set up... on my 425, the main PTO pump is always pumping. It can't be turned off because its directly coupled to the engine. It flows from the pump back to the tank constantly, unless I turn on the electric PTO switch. That activates a solenoid valve, that re-directs the flow to the hoses on the FEL arms, through the implement, and back to the tank. If yours is set up the same way, then a coupler house would make no difference, unless your cooler is located some point after the solenoid valve, and doesn't come into play unless the PTO switch is turned on.

Also, as I recall, my 425 has the cooler in the tram circuit, so only the tram oil is being cooled. It think there's been some discussion about changes since mine was manufactured back in 2001.

/ oil cooler #19  
After mower grass on a 85 degree day for about half an hour (engine at full throttle) the Shell Rottella 15w-40 was 147 degrees.
It sure heats up, though, weather your're using it or not. In winter, I'll start it up and let it run at 1/3 throttle while I hand shovel the narrow walks and steps. In 15 minutes of just sitting there, the reservoir gets hot to the touch.

/ oil cooler #20  
After mower grass on a 85 degree day for about half an hour (engine at full throttle) the Shell Rottella 15w-40 was 147 degrees.

You want it to heat up,and run hot but not overheat.Like your coolant temp on your car has a sweet spot so does a hydro system. You want enough temperature to boil the moisture off the oil occasionally. .I'd say 180 -190 for 20 minutes is plenty, yet you don't want it 220 plus either,as seal and hose life are shortened as is pump and motor life if you go past that.