The little Subaru gives up the ghost

/ The little Subaru gives up the ghost #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
Was running my tractor a bit yesterday and it wasn't acting right, even though then engine wasn't hot yet (i.e., not the infamous vapor lock issue). I only used it for about 15 minutes. I went to crank it today and the engine wouldn't turn over at first. It finally turned over and started but ran very rough. I backed out of the garage and the engine quit. When it started this time, there was a lot of smoke. Never a good sign. The smoke smelled like burnt motor oil. I cranked it again with similar results.

I got off and opened the hood and could see oil at the bottom of the tub. Maybe it Hydro-locked and I blew a seal when I first tried to crank it. It's not like these Subaru carburetors have been known to leak. ;).

So, now it sits in my driveway. I looked up the towing instructions and couldn't figure them out. On the one hand, it talks about opening a bypass valve. But then it talks about connecting a bypass hose. There's no fitting on one of the indicated connection locations. So, I guess I'll be calling Terry in the morning.

/ The little Subaru gives up the ghost #2  
Bummer.... on the 425 I thought there was just a bypass valve and no hose required for slow towing.