422 down for 10 weeks

/ 422 down for 10 weeks #1  

SwampmanLA

Silver Member
My 2008 PT 422 has a Robin EH 65 with about 1000 hours on it. Ten weeks ago I was moving some dirt and developed a sever oil leak and had oil blowing back into the carb. I pulled the engine and found a Robin service center to do the repair. That shop told me they needed 10 work days to get to my engine and do diagnostic work. Eight weeks later I still did not know what was wrong but luckily that weekly call was answered by the shop owner. He was upset at my story and got things moving. I feel for the owner, thus not putting the shop make out but they will never see me again.

What I soon found out was I had a blown head gasket on #2 and the valves in the heads were so bad I needed new heads, valves, and all the other things that go with new heads. It was going to be about a grand for the repairs. Well let's just say I was a bit skeptical of the findings and as nicely as I could I asked then to replace the head gasket and button it up for pickup. After 8 weeks all they charged me was 1.5 hours labor. Shameful it took 8 weeks for 1.5 hours of work, did I say they will never see me again!

Now we get to the good stuff. As soon as I got my engine home I pulled the heads and found the intake valves badly worn. Exhaust valves not nearly as much wear. I ordered two intake valves and quickly got them lapped in and installed. Lapped in all four valves just to freshen up the seals in the heads. Today I got everything put back together and she runs good as new. Total cost of parts was less than $100.00.

Wish I would have just done this from the start but I did not have the time to do the work a couple of months ago. In hind sight it was easy and I urge anyone with oil in the carb to pull your heads and check out the valves.

/ 422 down for 10 weeks #2  
Mine has been up on blocks for the last two weeks wheel motor plan to take care of that today. Congrats and nice job. :thumbsup: Glad you didn't let them con you. Pays to do your own work when you can..

/ 422 down for 10 weeks #3  
It's good you got it going, too bad about the shop though. That's the main reason i do my own work, i care about it more then the shop does.

/ 422 down for 10 weeks #4  
Many years ago I made the mistake of having my IH2500b towed to a local garage for repairs over the winter. It sat in their garage for months and never moved. I had it towed out to an IH industrial repair shop and it was done in a couple days. I just don't understand how places like that stay in business other than bilking gullible people.

Anyhow, glad you got it going on your own. :thumbsup: