Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one!

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #1  

cmedwards

Tractor
PT-2445
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum... but I did own a PT422 some 20 years ago... so guess I can't claim that I'm a newbie to Power Trac. Sold that tractor probably 10-12 years , but now I'm needing something that can lift 2000 lb occasionally, and will handle other tasks like trenching and drilling. I've pretty well narrowed things down to either a wheel loader or a skid steer.. and of course budget is a limiting factor. Last week I happened to notice a PT 2445 listed on the PT website (yea, their website is down again...), and I've almost talked myself into purchasing it because of the price / with accessories (it's a 2001 vintage machine). But before I pulled the trigger thought I would ask any current owners their opinions on a few things that still concern me. I have just spoken with Terry.. and he's really suggesting that a 1445 or 1460 would be a better fit ( I don't really need the BH, but it will come in handy a few times I'm sure...present owner actually has had it off for the last several years). This tractor is really tempting mostly because of the price... but I keep telling myself to focus more on "can this machine do what I need", because no doubt there will be some repairs and it's a lot of work to arrange delivery, check out all, etc.

Anyway... my questions are:

1) Does anyone have experience with the hydraulic systems holding up under really hot (100 degree + F) desert conditions? (moving to high desert area outside Palm Springs, CA in a year or so..) It's not always that hot there.... and won't be doing mowing...but thought I'd ask since most PTs seem to be in moderate climates.

2) I need to operate on small slopes, but no more than 10 degrees. It "looks" a little ungainly (sitting on the engine after all), thoughts or concerns about that? Again, if was just purchasing a new one I would go for the 14 series... but the 2445 is what is available.

3) Lift capacity... mostly I'll be moving pallets under 1500 lb, but I do have one piece of machinery that weights 2200 lb. Can I lift that much (once...) about 3 feet into the back of tractor trailer? I'm thinking that with the backhoe extended a bit I could do it... if the hydraulics are strong enough?

4) What trencher would you guys buy for sandy soil (24-28" to the bottom of the trench)? I'm not afraid to modify one with a skid steer mount if needed, the PT one looks a bit crude.

I'll have a few projects that could make use of the back hoe, but not enough to really justify buying one.... if it wasn't already there. SO a skid steer might make more sense for me (not worried about tearing up the grass in the desert...:) ), but I will use the planter head a lot, along with forks / bucket, and it's tough to find a decent skid steer under 10K. What other considerations might I be missing?

Please talk me out of this... :dance1:

Thanks all,
-Craig

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #2  
Just a thought but depending upon the situation, you might be able to use a gantry crane to load the trailer. I modified a HF one by adding a much more capable i-beam to it and it has worked nice for me when loading things outside. Inside, I use the rolling bridge crane that I made.

Ken

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one!
Ken,

Funny, I was just thinking the same yesterday.... (I actually have a an HF gantry crane in my little auto repair shop area), but I couldn't figure out a safe way to move the load into the trailer. I used to use the gantry to off load my equipment "treasure finds" from an open trailer all time, but loading a 53' container is another animal.

Craig

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #4  
I missed that you said "tractor" trailer. I can think of ways to do it with a gantry crane but it is not worth it effort and safety wise. If it is a one time need, you could always pay someone to load it for you. The 2400 series seem more awkward but if 90% of your use will be as a loader on basically flat ground, then it might make sense.

My major complaint about my PT is the limited lifting capacity for a 60 HP machine. But then it is better to be able to lift 1200 lbs almost anywhere on my property vs 2500 lbs in only a few spots on my driveway. The other negatives are poor ground contact for things like agricultural plowing and high fuel consumption because it is the equivalent of hydrostatic so one is running at fairly high RPM's.

Ken

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #5  
The one thing about the PT is no cab. I am not sure about you, but living in palm springs without AC on my tractor would be a deal breaker.

Yea, it's hot in the summer... but I'm mostly retired... so I can pick my times for working outside and what I've found is that you most always can get a couple hours of "tolerable" 80 degree temps in the early AM. Plus, it's a "dry" heat... :eek:

But if I was going to be working full time putting in solar PV (need the drill head for screwing in ground screws...), you can bet I'd be looking for something a lot more modern (with AC).

The main reason I'm so interested in lifting capability is my upcoming move from PA, otherwise I think I'd just buy a tractor once we get settled in CA. But larger PTs aren't very common and to get a more modern wheel loader would be at least twice what is being asked for the 2445, so I'm tempted despite the hassle of moving it across country.

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #7  
I think there is a 2460 that they have but don't advertise. 45 would be fine in the flats. I don't know if anyone in the group actually owns the 2 series. But all of us with the 1 series probably wouldn't trade it for the world.

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #8  
Unless you plan to routinely move 2200lbs, I wouldn't buy the capacity. I would buy the machine that you need routinely.

The hydraulic reliefs will limit the lift, as will the weight of the machine. My 1445 is right on the money. I can lift a tiny bit more, if it is only six inches off the ground, but not if it is higher. (PT pucker). I routinely get 2000lb pallets, but I unload a couple hundred pounds before trying to lift it with my forks. Much easier, and safer, to do it in two passes.

If I were you, I would add a second 12-14" blowing air into the tub. Palm desert is hot, and your tractor will thank you for the extra cooling. I was just doing front loader moving yesterday in the mid eighties and the hydraulic cooler was kicking in periodically.

All the best,

Peter

/ Questions on PT2445... considering buying a used one! #9  
Peter, what do you get routinely on 2K pallets? I never get anything more than an amazon box now and then. Jealous.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback... I'm a bit concerned about keeping the machine cooled above 90.... but I'm thinking that this old operator (without an AC cab), will give up before the machine really quits... :)

I was hoping that the 2445 (with the BH attached), might have a bit more counter to the PT pucker ( I became very experienced with that fun on the 425....) if I keep the machine straight. But sounds like the hydraulics will be limiting.. but I'm going for it regardless... cause you're right, I'll probably only "need" that 2200 lb lift once, and I don't think I'll find another deal like this on a 60 series. Plus a lot more to haul around....

I'll post some pics once I get the machine, it will probably be another month or so.

Anybody in group have any experience with the PT trencher? It's one of the few attachments that seems pretty reasonably priced compared to Bradco or others...but it looks pretty wimpy IMO. Not much rock in the high desert though... so it might be all I need.

thanks all,

Craig