Buying Advice Advice on PT 422

/ Advice on PT 422 #1  

Trojan6

Tractor
PT-180
Hello all,

Figured I'd come to the experts to get some advice. I am currently considering the purchase of a PT 422. The principle use will be mowing approximately 2.5 acres of wooded pasture, and 3/4 acre of lawn. I'm leaning towards a PT product because of the price (vs. Kubota or JD 2210), especially with all of the attachments I could get for the same money. Landscaping and general farmwork (fences, horses) will round out the rest of my time on it.
The pasture land has several low-hanging oaks, which leads me to believe that the front mounted mower will be much more nimble than a center or rear-mounted on a standard CUT. The land is in Georgetown, TX, and the pasture is moderately rocky. My concern with going for a PT 180 is that the engine will get overworked, especially when temps get in the 100-degree range. I also don't want to spend the extra for the 425, as it seems too much for my needs.
Please let me know your suggestions/recommendations concerning my needs. Thank you in advance.

-Trojan6

/ Advice on PT 422 #3  
Welcome to the wonderful family of TBN and Power Trac owners.
From what you said, the 422 should work very well. What will your needs be in say 2 or 5 years down the road? That should help you with the decision between the 422 and 425 series. As you read the PT threads, you will see many from me regarding the 425 and how hard I have been working it. This machine never gives up no matter what task I have put it through. The 422 will give you the same performance.
PJ

/ Advice on PT 422 #4  
HI Ill give my 2 cents. I have a 425 which I highly recomment. My wife & I have 4 horses & a landscape business & love all the PT does for use for both. I didnt go with the 422 because of robin motor. I have run kohlers for 10 years now. With this said PT is the best choice. You wont mind when the wife gives you a list to do. My advise to you is put fully synthic oil in the motor of any tractor you choose. The oil wont break down in your high temps. I live in NY & still use it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif O ya the the extra money on the 425 give you a canopy. You need one to keep the sun off you & you ll need somthing to hold on too. The PT is pretty fast & bumpy a full speed. Good luck

/ Advice on PT 422 #5  
first off, welcome.... now the 422 will do anything you need to do from mowing your grass,get the 48"deck to cleaning your stables,get the 48"10 cu.ft. bucket. now the robin engine,is as good as or better than the kohler.it comes with a forgedsteel crankshaft forged rods and rocker arms. it is even heaver than the kohler.so i wouldn't worry about it!!
they have a sale on the 422 right now take advantage of it.i would jump on it soon with rising cost of steel and gas,this 422 cuts my grass almost as cheep as my old 12 hp. gravely did /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Advice on PT 422 #6  
Is it the same Mr. Ohara that I've sent the mainbearing cover to? If so, how is the engine working for you sir? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack Gawecki
Robin America, Inc.
Technical Support Dept.
800-277-6246

/ Advice on PT 422 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( first off, welcome.... now the 422 will do anything you need to do from mowing your grass,get the 48"deck to cleaning your stables,get the 48"10 cu.ft. bucket. now the robin engine,is as good as or better than the kohler.it comes with a forgedsteel crankshaft forged rods and rocker arms. it is even heaver than the kohler.so i wouldn't worry about it!!
they have a sale on the 422 right now take advantage of it.i would jump on it soon with rising cost of steel and gas,this 422 cuts my grass almost as cheep as my old 12 hp. gravely did /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

Yesterday Tazewell only had one PT422 sale item left, it has a B & S engine. I forgot about the sale, just don't like B & S no reason , some people like them, that's why the world keeps turning ! ! ! !

/ Advice on PT 422 #8  
Giving the canopy thing some thought for summer use. Does the canopy become a perfect "black body radiator" of heat when it collecting all that energy from the sun? Is it too hot to touch in the summer? Anyone think of painting them aluminium silver on top to reflect the sun?

Tim

/ Advice on PT 422 #9  
I have the canopy... I'd rather have it than not. It really is very shady under there and I've never know it to radiate tons of heat back at me. I like that is is dark under there. It really helps.

/ Advice on PT 422 #10  
jack, yes i am,and it is great!!! the only problem is the cold weather starting.when it gets down to 15 degrees it will not fire....jim