PT-425 PROS & cons??

/ PT-425 PROS & cons?? #1  

FOURTEEN

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Power Trac PT-425
PT-425 PROS & cons??

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am sooooooo glad that I got the PT-425 with the ROPS Canopy!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yesterday, while doing some trail maintenance, I bumped into a dead tree, which was 8" in diameter and 38' tall with no branches. After a two second delay there was an extremely loud boom directly over my head!! I soon learned that the 2" by 32" top of that tree had snapped off and landed on my PT-425 Canopy!!!!

If I had purchased a PT-180, or PT-422, perhaps today someone else would be writing, and it could very well be my obituary!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Most folks only think of ROPS for roll over protection! Some folks think: "Flat land, don't need it!". Many CUT just have a simple bar ROPS with, sometimes, a cheap plastic sunshade!! There are other dangers, however, and the solid steel protection of the PT-425 ROPS Canopy may have been literally a life saver for me!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 390973-PT Canopy All.jpg
    390973-PT Canopy All.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,506
   / PT-425 PROS & cons?? #2  
Re: PT-425 PROS & cons??

I hope your 425 was not damaged /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but better that than you /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
PJ

/ PT-425 PROS & cons??

con: Power Trac Black Paint

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Problem: The Black Paint on the my new PT-425 is extremely poor quality. It is dull and soft. With the gasoline filler on top of the hood any gasoline splashed during fill up will leave spots on, actually in, the paint! Wiping the black paint with a gasoline soaked rag will remove the paint!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Solution: I repainted all the PT Black Paint areas with Valspar Anti-Rust Satin Enamel, which, after curing, is hard, smooth, tough, and highly gasoline and oil resistant!!

Attachment: New Paint.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 394982-e Right Rear.JPG
    394982-e Right Rear.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,109
   / PT-425 PROS & cons??

con: Power Trac Black Canopy

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Problem: The Black Paint on the Canopy of my new PT-425 is extremely poor quality. It is hot to the touch and radiates heat onto the driver. Another color would also be more visible when working in or near a road.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Solution: I repainted the Canopy with two coats of Valspar Anti-Rust White Satin Enamel, which, after curing, is hard, smooth, tough, and more visible!! I used a 3” wide Roller which is quick and easy while producing a nice hammered like finish without brush marks or overspray. The underside of the Canopy and the ROPS were repainted with two coats of Valspar Anti-Rust Black Satin Enamel.

Attachment: White Canopy.

Attachments

• 394994-e Left Front Canopy TBN .JPG
    394994-e Left Front Canopy TBN .JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,009
   / PT-425 PROS & cons??

con: Power Trac Needs 2” Ball Trailer Hitch Receiver

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Problem: The Trailer Hitch provided on the rear of my new PT-425 is worthless to me because my DR Chipper, tilt bed trailer, and garden trailer are all 2“ Ball Hitches. I want to install a 2” Ball Hitch Receiver WITHOUT WELDING or modifying the OEM hitch.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Solution: Determine the correct height for the Ball.
Cut the 2” Receiver ~1/2” longer than the distance from Weld A to Weld B.
Carefully grind ~1/16” from the top and bottom surfaces of the receiver at D where it will slid between the lips of the OEM hitch. Grind flat surfaces, check often, and stop grinding when the receiver can be driven full length between the lips with a heavy hammer.
Carefully mark the center of the Pin hole C on the receiver. Center punch. Remove the receiver. Move the mark 1/32” away from E. Center punch. On a drill press drill a 3/4” hole through the receiver at the new mark.
Reinstall the receiver between the lips. The holes should align side to side, but overlap slightly front to back.
Drive the Pin through the holes with a heavy hammer. (Use the original Pin. Do NOT use a nut and bolt!)
Install the Ball.

This procedure will insure a nice tight fitting receiver which will not move, is very strong, can be easily returned to OEM, and requires NO WELDING!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachment: New Ball Hitch Receiver.

Attachments

• 395003-e Trailer Hitch TBN .JPG
    395003-e Trailer Hitch TBN .JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,344
   / PT-425 PROS & cons?? #6  

The white teeth really give your PT a menacing, beast-like grin. I like it.

/ PT-425 PROS & cons?? #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am sooooooo glad that I got the PT-425 with the ROPS Canopy!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yesterday, while doing some trail maintenance, I bumped into a dead tree, which was 8" in diameter and 38' tall with no branches. After a two second delay there was an extremely loud boom directly over my head!! I soon learned that the 2" by 32" top of that tree had snapped off and landed on my PT-425 Canopy!!!!

If I had purchased a PT-180, or PT-422, perhaps today someone else would be writing, and it could very well be my obituary!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Most folks only think of ROPS for roll over protection! Some folks think: "Flat land, don't need it!". Many CUT just have a simple bar ROPS with, sometimes, a cheap plastic sunshade!! There are other dangers, however, and the solid steel protection of the PT-425 ROPS Canopy may have been literally a life saver for me!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

)</font>

Gary,
I read this post about the time I had to call Kristie re the non-delivered mower. I asked her about a ROPS for the PT422, is it available, she answered yes, but as I have already flown out of the top of the budget, at 500 I will have to take great care until the next piggy bank becomes raidable. I still keep hoping I can eventually make the trip to Tazewell, then who knows what could happen ! ! ! !
Thanks for the input,good point. Bill.

/ PT-425 PROS & cons?? #8  

That is one fancy machine. How about a couple racing strips? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
PJ

/ PT-425 PROS & cons??

bmac:
That PT-425 with the Grapple Bucket IS a beast out in those woods!! Sort of like a big motorized alligator - big mouth, sharp teeth, all fours digging in, head and tail snappin' back and forth, and a mighty roar echoing through the trees!!
The white on the teeth makes it easier to see where the PT is bitin'!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

NJBill:
Hope you can get your ROPS Canopy soon! It's like insurance, you hate to pay the premium, but you don't dare not to!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

PJ:
As long as I was repainting anyway, why not a little custom job??!!
The racing stripes are on my Brush Cutter!! Down each side of the deck to make it easier to cut the brush, and not the flowers!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Attachment: Front.

Attachments

• 395431-e Front TBN .JPG
    395431-e Front TBN .JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 909
   / PT-425 PROS & cons??

con: Power Trac Headlights

Problem: The PT-425 OEM Headlights are round, old fashion, dim 35W sealed beams, and kind of frog-like!! The lift arms hit these lights when fully raised !

Solution: I replaced the PT-425 headlights with: PM V502HF Flood Beam Utility & Tractor Lights which are 3"x5" rectangular, modern, bright 55W halogen, and kind of cool!! Being slimmer these lights clear the lift arms!

Install new lights in the original mounting holes and wire to the original switch.

Attachment: New Bright Lights.

Attachments

• 398632-e Front TBN .JPG
    398632-e Front TBN .JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 954