More Newbie questions

/ More Newbie questions #31  
Oh man...
- I've got 2 snowblowers that I'll someday combine to make one snowblower (that's 30 years old and doesn't do such a great job, as I recall).
- A 1971 Toyota Land Cruiser that's been in a storage shed since 1996 that I'll someday put back together. Its got a Chevy 230 straight 6 in it right now that's too modified for a reliable street engine.
- A 1985 Chevy truck in the back yard since about 2005 that's an organ donor for the Toyota. Its got a 350, 4-bolt main and a 700R that only has about 4000 miles on it.
- A 292 straight 6 that's an alternative to the 350 from the 1985 Chevy for the Toyota.
- A 4L60-E transmission that's a spare for my 1993 Suburban... just in case.
- A 1977 Yamaha RD400 drag bike/cafe racer that's in little pieces (because its evil, like Christine).
- A full fiberglass body, a full metal body, two metal firewalls, two hard tops, ambulance and fold-down doors, all for 1971 Land Cruiser.
- A 350 4 bolt main block on a skid that's.... I can't remember why I'm keeping that one.
- The backhoe project that needs about 20 more hours of work to finish.
- An 8.5hp Briggs that'll do something, some day.
- A 2.5hp Briggs that'll do something, some day.
.............. and a honey-do list that's two pages long that overrides anything listed above. :D

And a kid in grad school, a kid going to Purdue next year, two elderly in-laws that I love dearly who need a little more assistance recently and I'd like to go fishing a couple times this winter. :confused3:

/ More Newbie questions #34  
Oh man...
- I've got 2 snowblowers that I'll someday combine to make one snowblower (that's 30 years old and doesn't do such a great job, as I recall).
- A 1971 Toyota Land Cruiser that's been in a storage shed since 1996 that I'll someday put back together. Its got a Chevy 230 straight 6 in it right now that's too modified for a reliable street engine.
- A 1985 Chevy truck in the back yard since about 2005 that's an organ donor for the Toyota. Its got a 350, 4-bolt main and a 700R that only has about 4000 miles on it.
- A 292 straight 6 that's an alternative to the 350 from the 1985 Chevy for the Toyota.
- A 4L60-E transmission that's a spare for my 1993 Suburban... just in case.
- A 1977 Yamaha RD400 drag bike/cafe racer that's in little pieces (because its evil, like Christine).
- A full fiberglass body, a full metal body, two metal firewalls, two hard tops, ambulance and fold-down doors, all for 1971 Land Cruiser.
- A 350 4 bolt main block on a skid that's.... I can't remember why I'm keeping that one.
- The backhoe project that needs about 20 more hours of work to finish.
- An 8.5hp Briggs that'll do something, some day.
- A 2.5hp Briggs that'll do something, some day.
.............. and a honey-do list that's two pages long that overrides anything listed above. :D
:

Lots of parts for a serious project....just say'n. =)

tank.jpg

/ More Newbie questions #35  
Several folks have said the same thing.... I don't know why. :D
I had 2 land cruisers ,love them! I did chevy swaps on both of them,I had a 70,and a 77 and my dad had a 78 with a chevy steering box conversion and 350 swap..
On the oil burning,I'd stop wasting your money on synthetic oil if it's using 8oz per hr and just use fleet 15w40 diesel oil unless it's real cold there.That amount of oil usage dictates serious issues,your cylinders are likely out of round or tapered and will require over boring to restore . While these engines and the kohlers are rebuild able,it's really,not cost effective as of now.i just bored and put larger Pistons in one of my Kohler 25 commands and it cost over 500 dollars,and all we replaced was the Pistons and rings,exhaust valves and gaskets ,that's it! If I had the money I would have replaced it for about 1600.00, my engine ran great but was using about 8oz of oil every 10 hrs....it has about 4500 hrs on it,and we've always used top of the line oil from Schaeffers and Napa full synthetic. If the aftermarket ever starts supporting these engines with quality parts the situation will be different.A set of genuine kohler oversized Pistons and rings cost 300.00... I can buy 3 sets for a chevy v8 for that.....