Just rebuilt Tram pump

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump #1  

Poorman1234

Tractor
Power-Trac 422
Guys:

Just a word - Do not be afraid to tackle this one. There is help out there.

After about 2800 hours, my 2000 PT422 was beginning to suffer the ravages of time in the drive system hydraulics. It was slipping going down hill and needed a lot of treadle to make forward progress going up hill.

A quick call to the guys in VA suggested that in all likelihood it was the tram pump, not the wheel motors. Thus, I was offered the following options:
1) Do nothing and live with it
2) Remove the pump and send it to VA for a rebuild (worst case $1000, plus shipping with 2-day turn, including full testing)
3) Have it rebuilt locally ($500 plus parts which could total as much as $1250 - Thus telling me that PT is very fair with their pricing)
4) Attempt rebuild myself (tough to do since I could not find enough identifying characteristics on the pump to get to manufacturer and model number off the pump)

I went with #4, only because the shop that charges $500 does not actually want the work. All pumps at his shop leave fully tested and certified....a feature I did not require and thus did not wish to pay for. I was told that with practice, the rebuild takes less than an hour, but the testing ties up his machines keeping him from testing "much more valuable" and larger pumps.

The parts guy there told me to pull the pump and bring it partially disassembled to Nova Hydraulics on the north side of Indianapolis. Upon arrival I took it to the back where a technician, Rick, examined the pump components and recommended which deserve replacement. Doing this is like asking a barber, "Do I need a haircut?", I know, but they were very candid. He factored my desire for life, performance, quality vs. part cost into his recommendation. He also told me how to recondition parts I had, rather than replace.

The recommendation included lapping the rotating cylinder (holds 9 pistons) and the brass face sealed parts.....to which I asked if it could be done on site before I left. $57 for this service making these parts good as new! Payment and out the door, but not before I was given a few key recommendations on dis-assembly and re-assembly procedures. They even sent e-mailed documentation as to the whole procedure. Instructions included: "Don't lose or forget to install the little ball baring on the end of the shaft." Grease this and that...here and there, etc.

I left with about $300 in parts and $57 labor charges which included all new seals, new pistons replacing mine which were well worn, and most importantly a new spring-ring that holds the pistons and tensions the mating rotating parts, as well as the lapping completed.

Pump dis-assembly , new seals, and re-assembly took about two hours for me, the novice. It will probably take about 1/2 hour for an expert...me the next time in 15 years or so.

I put the pump back in the machine keeping everything clean and then refilled the pump.

Tested two days ago with the new tires Kenda Terra-Trac tires I had just put on (see recent tire post) and wow...LIKE NEW. I can idle up the steepest hills using a little treadle. The wear was indeed in the pump and not the wheel motors. (Thank you Tazewell for the point in the right direction)

Hope someone out there finds this useful and inspiring.

Rick
2000 PT-422
Starting the next 2800 hours with "new" pump and new tires

Last edited:
   / Just rebuilt Tram pump #2  
But you left out the best part.... what make and model is the pump??? hahahhaa

Good job on the rebuild.

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump
Sunstrand 15series, left hand turn....

My tram pump is on the front side of the engine with the other hydraulic pumps on the back-side.

When disassembling the tram pump, pay attention to the LH or RH on the primer pump assembly so that you reassemble as needed.

Rick

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump #4  
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Peter

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump #6  
That's the same exact pump my steiners use...there isn't much to them, did you do a high pressure loop filtering after reassembly? That's the most important part once you open the system. .if not you will likely experience very fast deterioration in performance and likely be back to where you started after a few hrs running time.

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump #7  
Perhaps post the emailed directions for others that have the same setup?

Ken

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump #8  
Yeah, I seen them do that to my Steiner when it blew a hose on the front pump while it was still under warranty.
That's the same exact pump my steiners use...there isn't much to them, did you do a high pressure loop filtering after reassembly? That's the most important part once you open the system. .if not you will likely experience very fast deterioration in performance and likely be back to where you started after a few hrs running time.

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump #9  
Way to go:thumbsup:
Guys:

Just a word - Do not be afraid to tackle this one. There is help out there.

After about 2800 hours, my 2000 PT422 was beginning to suffer the ravages of time in the drive system hydraulics. It was slipping going down hill and needed a lot of treadle to make forward progress going up hill.

A quick call to the guys in VA suggested that in all likelihood it was the tram pump, not the wheel motors. Thus, I was offered the following options:
1) Do nothing and live with it
2) Remove the pump and send it to VA for a rebuild (worst case $1000, plus shipping with 2-day turn, including full testing)
3) Have it rebuilt locally ($500 plus parts which could total as much as $1250 - Thus telling me that PT is very fair with their pricing)
4) Attempt rebuild myself (tough to do since I could not find enough identifying characteristics on the pump to get to manufacturer and model number off the pump)

I went with #4, only because the shop that charges $500 does not actually want the work. All pumps at his shop leave fully tested and certified....a feature I did not require and thus did not wish to pay for. I was told that with practice, the rebuild takes less than an hour, but the testing ties up his machines keeping him from testing "much more valuable" and larger pumps.

The parts guy there told me to pull the pump and bring it partially disassembled to Nova Hydraulics on the north side of Indianapolis. Upon arrival I took it to the back where a technician, Rick, examined the pump components and recommended which deserve replacement. Doing this is like asking a barber, "Do I need a haircut?", I know, but they were very candid. He factored my desire for life, performance, quality vs. part cost into his recommendation. He also told me how to recondition parts I had, rather than replace.

The recommendation included lapping the rotating cylinder (holds 9 pistons) and the brass face sealed parts.....to which I asked if it could be done on site before I left. $57 for this service making these parts good as new! Payment and out the door, but not before I was given a few key recommendations on dis-assembly and re-assembly procedures. They even sent e-mailed documentation as to the whole procedure. Instructions included: "Don't lose or forget to install the little ball baring on the end of the shaft." Grease this and that...here and there, etc.

I left with about $300 in parts and $57 labor charges which included all new seals, new pistons replacing mine which were well worn, and most importantly a new spring-ring that holds the pistons and tensions the mating rotating parts, as well as the lapping completed.

Pump dis-assembly , new seals, and re-assembly took about two hours for me, the novice. It will probably take about 1/2 hour for an expert...me the next time in 15 years or so.

I put the pump back in the machine keeping everything clean and then refilled the pump.

Tested two days ago with the new tires Kenda Terra-Trac tires I had just put on (see recent tire post) and wow...LIKE NEW. I can idle up the steepest hills using a little treadle. The wear was indeed in the pump and not the wheel motors. (Thank you Tazewell for the point in the right direction)

Hope someone out there finds this useful and inspiring.

Rick
2000 PT-422
Starting the next 2800 hours with "new" pump and new tires

/ Just rebuilt Tram pump #10  

It would definitely be "best" to filter the wheel motor loop. However, I don't know how a typical PT owner can get this done. PT used to offer a "kit" for high pressure filtration. However, I asked about it recently and they don't offer it anymore. I guess one could make up a filter package. However, I wouldn't know where to connect everything (maybe in place of a wheel motor?). I have a pump PT rebuilt that I need to install now. I'd love to filter the wheel loop after installation. But how?