Reading Old posts - Sorry BJustice

/ Reading Old posts - Sorry BJustice #1  

Poorman1234

Tractor
Power-Trac 422
Just a funny story with a few life lessons applicable to this forum.

The first lesson is as old as time itself and falls into the category of "He who hesitates..." The second includes a bit af caviate emptor. The third is "let the seller help you buy." It is after all, in his interest as well.

For entertainment over the holidays, I was reading old posts.

Mid to late December '05 there is a post entitled "Attachment Weights 400 Series," talking about the possible purchase of a PT-422 off the Used-PTs web page. In it, Mr. BJustice was asking the group for the weight of a particular list of attachments in an effort to figure out if he could get it home.....the machine and the exact list of attachments is what I bought....off the Used PTs website in mid December, '05. I am confident I bought the machine Mr. Justice was considering.

I am sorry about that!

At that time, I had no idea of the existence of this forum and thus no idea there were others interested. The seller did not mention another buyer and thus I did not know I snaked it from another forum member.
Lesson 1: I learned that if you see what you want, get it! The rest is details to be worked out.

Lesson 2: Now about the machine....the caviate emptor part. The machine was far from perfect, had lots of hours, had engine issues, but was running and a fair deal for the price. The only way to know all of this was lots of questions, then ultimately to see the machine after agreeing to purchase. The seller was forthright and candid, but buying from four states away from a seller description, even at a "good" price, is still a big leap of faith for the buyer and the seller who has to hold it for you until you can get there.

It is still a much bigger leap for the buyer if he does all the travel! Thus to better balance the risk/reward equation, I asked for a further leap of faith from the seller...."Meet me half way!" The seller had a 3/4 ton pick-up truck and a two-axle utility trailer in the background of the photos showing the tractor. I asked him to load up the tractor and the attachments and meet me, literally half way. I agreed that I would pay full price as asked, if he helped me bring it home by driving it half way. I would bring a similar truck and rented the 3500 pound capacity U-haul trailer (about the same size as his trailer). We would use the machine itself to handle the unloading and reloading. I would bring payment as desired (half cash, half certified bank-check), the seller would bring the machine and attachments. The agreement was that if the machine was as described, the payment would be also and was worked out before departure.

Now for my third lesson learned: This also answered the question being argued by the thread on this forum. I let the seller answer the weight and size questions by asking if it would fit and be within the limits of the truck and two-axle trailer he had as he, too, had to haul the tractor and attachment cross-country.

To my surprise, the seller was fully on board. Early on Dec. 21, 2005, he started from his home in VA and I from mine in Southern Indiana. (I brought lots of tie-down straps.) We agreed on a route between us and since neither of us could reasonably predict road delays, etc. we would talk every few hours (more as we got closer) via cell phone to adjust the meeting point, choosing a land-mark, gas station, or such while en rout. We both pulled into the Cabelas Outdoor Super-Store parking lot off I-70 in West VA within 5 minutes of one another.

The machine was as described, wear and tear, engine issues, and all, and so full payment was made. We both left happy after only a half hour exchange and we were both home for a late supper. He sold a machine to an enthusiastic buyer four states away and I bought one from a motivated seller four states away. Total time was one day!

Because there are no dealers, and because PT is in VA, there are simply more units available in the east closer to the plant. Mid westerners might have to go east to get one. Don't let it stop you!

Hope this inspires the "Still looking" crowd that one is within reach, both financially and geographically. Honesty rules!

Rick
2000 PT-422 bought in 2005.

From the other post.........
"Can anyone supply the weight of the items in this list?
45" 5 cu ft Bkt
45" Grapple Bkt
48" Box Blade
48" Brush Cutter
60" Blade
18" diameter Stump Cutter
48" Tiller
3' Trencher
48" Mower
Post Hole Head w/Auger
I'm trying to decide what capacity my shopping cart needs to be....."

(Turned out to be a 60" mower deck.)

Last edited:
   / Reading Old posts - Sorry BJustice #2  
Guess what? I read your post just a short time after it appeared here. I was indeed "looking" and was collecting info on weights and transportation methods--along with possible candidates. I bought in Feb of 06--a Power-Trac trailer with a wide assortment of attachments and a PT2423, all used. Things change in 10 or so years, the PT is now at my sons property in Tn and I have an in-town house with a not-very-large-lawn and a small raised-bed garden plot. My son will get all the advantages of a PT and I will get all the advantages of helping him whenever I want. Lol. It was fun reading your post; as you can see I bought the shopping cart, which solved my transportation problem.

/ Reading Old posts - Sorry BJustice #3  
Things do indeed change with the passing of time. I couldn't resist an update. I couldn't stay in-town in a nice house in a nice sub-division. LOL
I now have about 29 acres including about a 6 acre lake in Western TN. My son still has the PT2422 trailer package--but now he shares it whenever I need PT type help.

Life is good--even with all the twists and turns.

Bill

/ Reading Old posts - Sorry BJustice #4  
Hey! Happy New Year!! Sounds like a good bit if fun going on there. :thumbsup:

/ Reading Old posts - Sorry BJustice #5  
Thank you MossRoad, and happy new year to you and to all the other
PT'ers around the country (and around the world).

Also thank you for all the work you and the other moderators do every day.
Bill