Sure but steady ... Upgrades

/ Sure but steady ... Upgrades #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
So far my old machine is alive and well.. A few upgrades and many more to come.

New right front wheel motor.
Some sanding repainting on surface rust.
All new lights including topside led's 27-watt.
Reworked and strengthened my handmade Rop's ..Very satisfied with the end result and saved some $$ in the process..

New fuel pump.
Gas lines.
New marine water separator.
New aggressive tread Carlisle All Trail II Tires very pleased with these tires.

This weekend did an oil change. Will wait awhile and change again to a synthetic oil.

By the middle of summer will have changed out all four wheel motors.

Many more upgrades, so far loving this old girl..

Thinking maybe in a few years of going after a brand new 1430. If and when I buy a new machine I prefer the PT foot print and a diesel engine this time. :thumbsup:

/ Sure but steady ... Upgrades #2  
New fuel pump.
Did you install a replacement pulse-type diaphragm pump, or did you put in an electric pump?

I relocated my fuel pump to the right side of the tractor, forward of the fuel tank to get it as far away from the exhaust as possible, and that seems to help. Also kept the fuel line away from the hydraulic pump, routed it on the right side of the engine compartment and up the back right side.

/ Sure but steady ... Upgrades
Did you install a replacement pulse-type diaphragm pump, or did you put in an electric pump?

I relocated my fuel pump to the right side of the tractor, forward of the fuel tank to get it as far away from the exhaust as possible, and that seems to help. Also kept the fuel line away from the hydraulic pump, routed it on the right side of the engine compartment and up the back right side.

Nice job. :thumbsup:

Yes I did get the original style diaphragm pump you can see it beside the water separator which is on the right side of the engine if your standing behind.

Not sure how yours is setup guessing you have a Robin. Mine has the steel tank not the plastic. As you can see it has a brass shut off valve that runs from the inside right top of the tank. I have to run the hose straight down the right side where it goes through the water separator and back to the fuel pump.

This filter is for a Kohler gravity feed and rated at 28 Microns. I have the suggested 51 Micron gas filter on order. Made for a Kohler with a fuel pump.

Anyway once it gets here I plan to tuck the gas line / filter closer to the right bottom side away from the engine. The exhaust for the Kohler is straight up and to the back. Not off to the side like a Robin.

I also have the new wiring to my led's down running down there. I plan to get some kind of wrap to help protect the wires from the heat.

Attachments

• Gas hose 002.jpg
    Gas hose 002.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Gas hose 006.jpg
    Gas hose 006.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Gas cap 010.jpg
    Gas cap 010.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Gas hose 008.jpg
    Gas hose 008.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Gas cap 004.jpg
    Gas cap 004.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 202
   / Sure but steady ... Upgrades #4  
Mine has the steel tank not the plastic. As you can see it has a brass shut off valve that runs from the inside right top of the tank. I have to run the hose straight down the right side where it goes through the water separator and back to the fuel pump.
With the engine cover mounted tank and a rear mounted exhaust header, you really have no option but to run the fuel hose near the muffler. I think some good heat wrap would help.

With the engine cover mounted tank and a rear mounted exhaust header, you really have no option but to run the fuel hose near the muffler. I think some good heat wrap would help.

Agreed..

After all the wind and ice we've had lately and seeing huge tree limbs smashing down on my driveway. I decided to add one more leg to my Rop's . Gives me even more protection.

I needed a place to add my backup light anyway. The fronts are led 27 watt flood lights and the backup light is 6 led 18-watt flood light. I'll put it on a separate switch next weekend. Plan to mount my fire extinguisher a little further down from the light. When I'm sitting in the tractor I don't even notice it curves just right away from the seat and the back of my head.

I used a 3/4 inch hardened steel bolt and 2x2 curved square steel post. I attached it to the metal backing on my seat. If I need to get to the oil tank I just undo the bolt and slide the seat forward and it pops right off in no time at all.

Attachments

• Rops backup light 219.jpg
    Rops backup light 219.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Rops backup light 215.jpg
    Rops backup light 215.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Rops backup light 236.jpg
    Rops backup light 236.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Rops backup light 047.jpg
    Rops backup light 047.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Rops backup light 118.jpg
    Rops backup light 118.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Rops backup light 131.jpg
    Rops backup light 131.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 184
   / Sure but steady ... Upgrades #7  
I couldn't do that. I tip my seat forward often to shed rain or snow, and also every time I fill it with gas so that I don't splash any on the seat.

I still envy you on the size of that tractor with the gas engine. :laughing:

As for the seat It only takes me a minute to slip the bolt out if I need to get to the oil tank. I add gas from the top of the steel tank and I use a large funnel... The steel lid opens up just fine.

As for water I just blow everything off once I park it back in the garage..

Guessing you mean the Kohler engine the tractor is the same size as yours.. Yes love the low hour tractor and engine ..

Here's what she looked like when I first bought her home.. So I am making progress. And for fun of it the original paperwork with the owners address blanked out. He still lives there. :D

Attachments

• 00A0A_87f4zhyjYtN_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_87f4zhyjYtN_600x450.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 219
  • PT.jpg
    PT.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Rops backup light 118.jpg
    Rops backup light 118.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 235
An encouraging note I'm pretty happy about. The Kohler started up with a little bit coxing in 4 degree weather a week ago...