air-cooled diesel for PT-425?

/ air-cooled diesel for PT-425? #11  
I looked up the full specs of the Hatz 23 HP 2E40 engine on the Hatz website as this will fit into the PT425 or PT422 tub. Seems like a pretty decent little diesel.

One concern for those using the machine on slanted ground....tilt. The engine is rated plus and minus 25 degrees along the axis of the crankshaft which is great, but only 17 degrees one way on the side to side tilt. (The other side is 30 degrees.) Steep slopes would be fine in one direction but wreck the engine coming back. Flatlanders will have no issue with slopes, but might still have to watch the PT-Pucker tilts.

Since our machines are much more stable than most tractors, we need to be concerned by the engine tilt specifications more than most as we operate our machines on more sever inclines than most tractor owners....because we can!

Speed is a reasonable match at a rated 3600 even though typical use is to 3000. Occasional use at the rated speed of our pumps and thus full power is possible but fuel efficiency drops off rapidly above 3000 rpm.

Cold weather starting will remain an issue and will likely require an input air heater.

All that said.....when/if the Subaru fails, this will be a serious contender.

The other engines from Hatz are either too small or too large for my machine but the G, L, or M engines may offer options for the big machines.

Rick
2000 PT 422 (It has the bigger 425 tub)

/ air-cooled diesel for PT-425? #12  
You could always install it with a 6.5 degree tilt. :)

All the best, Peter
I looked up the full specs of the Hatz 23 HP 2E40 engine on the Hatz website as this will fit into the PT425 or PT422 tub. Seems like a pretty decent little diesel.

One concern for those using the machine on slanted ground....tilt. The engine is rated plus and minus 25 degrees along the axis of the crankshaft which is great, but only 17 degrees one way on the side to side tilt. (The other side is 30 degrees.) Steep slopes would be fine in one direction but wreck the engine coming back. Flatlanders will have no issue with slopes, but might still have to watch the PT-Pucker tilts.

Since our machines are much more stable than most tractors, we need to be concerned by the engine tilt specifications more than most as we operate our machines on more sever inclines than most tractor owners....because we can!

Speed is a reasonable match at a rated 3600 even though typical use is to 3000. Occasional use at the rated speed of our pumps and thus full power is possible but fuel efficiency drops off rapidly above 3000 rpm.

Cold weather starting will remain an issue and will likely require an input air heater.

The other engines from Hatz are either too small or too large for my machine but the G, L, or M engines may offer options for the big machines.

Rick

/ air-cooled diesel for PT-425? #13  
As it is Hydraulic you could build a rotating bed, so that it keeps upright no matter the angle.

/ air-cooled diesel for PT-425? #14  
As it is Hydraulic you could build a rotating bed, so that it keeps upright no matter the angle.

External oil sump and pump, like on a racer might solve this. Unless the problem is draining underneath the rocker covers... maybe some external drain piping....

You only need to weld another foot extension on the engine compartment to fit it all in...

Seriously though, I think this shows the importance of making sure the engine you shoehorn in has the roll & pitch capability that you anticipate your PT doing. I still am voting for the 3 cylinder Kubota D902-E4B. Come on, someone has to be the first to do it! Can't be me, cause I have about 7 projects stacked up waiting to be done, and don't have room to pile the parts for the 8th project to wait its turn....

D902-E4B. 24.8 HP at 3600 rpm (matches current engine speed so same PTO flow and speed):
http://www.kubotaengine.com/assets/documents/Brochures-Engines Tier 4/SM-D902_E4B.pdf

The width and height of this engine would work, but it is 6" longer than the EH72. It won't fit in the existing tub, unless you could somehow drive the pumps with micro-Vee belts, putting them low in the tub in parallel to the engine. Fitting that in would require hard piping the hydraulics (seems like most of the space wasted in the engine compartment is the huge mess of rubber hoses crammed in there).

Last edited:
   / air-cooled diesel for PT-425?
Thanks for looking into the specs Rick. I guess I overlooked the tilt specs, although, I will be definitely be taking that into consideration. I was doing some measuring of the tub today, and it looks like where the adapter housing is will need some modifying. I don't remember what type of coupler is connecting the engine to the tram pump? But it looks like to make the Hatz fit there will need to be a sacrifice around 2" of length, or have the pumps move forward a couple inches (if possible.)

Rick

/ air-cooled diesel for PT-425? #16  
I guess this falls into the "be careful what you wish for." kind of situation.

I blew the gasket on the main bearing of my Robin this weekend. I'm hoping a $10 gasket from Jack's Small Engine Repair .com will solve it, but who knows.

ponytug had a great idea to solve the tilt issue...or at least mitigate its effect. Although a little unusual, I can't think of why tilting the engine 6.5 degrees to one side would hurt the engine. It just leaves looking at fit and maintenance issues. Then I get +/- 25 degrees along the length of the machine and +/- 23.5 side to side tilt on the Hatz engine. If my $10 gasket can't fix the Subaru, might be time to upgrade......Hmmmm?

I noticed that I have nearly 3 inches clear space in front of the tram pump on the front of my engine and over 2 inches clearance on the back of the other pumps. Adding up to 3 inches overall engine length should not be too much of an issue.

Rick
2000-PT422 with longer tub than the current 422.

/ air-cooled diesel for PT-425?
I guess this falls into the "be careful what you wish for." kind of situation.

I blew the gasket on the main bearing of my Robin this weekend. I'm hoping a $10 gasket from Jack's Small Engine Repair .com will solve it, but who knows.

ponytug had a great idea to solve the tilt issue...or at least mitigate its effect. Although a little unusual, I can't think of why tilting the engine 6.5 degrees to one side would hurt the engine. It just leaves looking at fit and maintenance issues. Then I get +/- 25 degrees along the length of the machine and +/- 23.5 side to side tilt on the Hatz engine. If my $10 gasket can't fix the Subaru, might be time to upgrade......Hmmmm?

I noticed that I have nearly 3 inches clear space in front of the tram pump on the front of my engine and over 2 inches clearance on the back of the other pumps. Adding up to 3 inches overall engine length should not be too much of an issue.

Rick
2000-PT422 with longer tub than the current 422.

I've been seeing different measurements on these motors. That PDF isn't including the crankshaft sticking out for some reason. There is a dealer that sells them and they have on their site that these motors are 18" wide x 24" long, which we all know would be too long. So, we need to all make sure what the measurements are exactly. It may simply be too long?