Frozen Chain Trencher

/ Frozen Chain Trencher #22  
We did that before planting... the guy was baffled... he wanted the area to be disturbed clearly marked...

Said OK... it is 4 .5 acres and I have the corners marked... guess they don't get calls like this... there is a high pressure gas line, water, sewer traversing the old farm...

Little ironic because main gas and sewer run through the property and we can't tap in... said a full Environmental Impact Report Required... if that don't beat all for a single family home.

One of the joys of urban farming...

/ Frozen Chain Trencher #23  
...there is a high pressure gas line, water, sewer traversing the old farm...

:eek:

Was that on your property deed or did it come as a big surprise?

/ Frozen Chain Trencher
Well I'm glad I asked you guys. First trench is a big open field towards a creek. Never even thought to call the dig line. I will definitely do that monday and postpone digging. Never know what's there. In fact my new rule should be to post what I'm doing as a next project here before I do it, because I think you guys have saved me lots of problems already, and I don't know what I don't know about my new rural living situation. 28 years in the Marines had me moving all the time and never owning anything until now. Thanks for helping with what to some must be obvious, but it's a v8 moment for me. Wait till I get to my retaining wall and back deck and run power 400 ft to my barn. I've got a big education ahead of me.

/ Frozen Chain Trencher #25  
Don't know about VA, but here in Fl they have 48 hours after you call to locate - and if you call in the afternoon, the day you call does not count towards that 48 hours.

So, if I were to call on Monday morning, I could not think about digging until at least Wednesday. If I call on Monday afternoon, it would be Thursday.

/ Frozen Chain Trencher #26  
:eek:

Was that on your property deed or did it come as a big surprise?

Have the title to the Spanish Land Grant... remember it was in one family for since 1865.

What I did not know is the exact locations as they are not surface marked.

I just threw in the part about having utilities on the property and not being able to tap into them.

This is how building is controlled and primarily through sewer hookup.

Since the land is surrounded by Park on 3 sides the plan was for the park to take it over... they could never come to terms and had wanted the family to donate the bulk of it in exchange they 1865 barn would be preserved with a bronze plaque.

Homes across the road on 1/4 acre lots are going between 1.3 and 1.7m as they are just now being finished.

It is nice when you have a 65 acre island of county surrounded by park on 3 sides and the city limit on the other and as so can legally shoot, hunt, and even have AG burns...

Discing , trenching, planting all involve digging... so just to be safe we called... as this was the first time for us planting and by calling we protected ourselves...

Last year in the same county someone was digging and hit an old gas line that was not suppose to be there... put in during the WWII for a dock a mile away... anyway... he called Underground Alert and was totally in the clear... actually was compensated for damages... just for the price of a call.

/ Frozen Chain Trencher #27  
Well I'm glad I asked you guys. First trench is a big open field towards a creek. Never even thought to call the dig line. I will definitely do that monday and postpone digging. Never know what's there. In fact my new rule should be to post what I'm doing as a next project here before I do it, because I think you guys have saved me lots of problems already, and I don't know what I don't know about my new rural living situation. 28 years in the Marines had me moving all the time and never owning anything until now. Thanks for helping with what to some must be obvious, but it's a v8 moment for me. Wait till I get to my retaining wall and back deck and run power 400 ft to my barn. I've got a big education ahead of me.

If you google "call before you dig virginia" you get this link. Hope it helps. Keeps you from being liable. :thumbsup:

Miss Utility of Virginia | Always call 811 before you dig in Virginia.